Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Youth Bow for a 4 year old? >

Youth Bow for a 4 year old?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Youth Bow for a 4 year old?

Old 02-05-2004, 04:32 PM
Typical Buck

Default Youth Bow for a 4 year old?

My 4 year old daughter expressed interest in archery tonight and got me thinking...........why not start her now? Bottom line is that I'm looking for a compound bow that's fully adjustable in poundages and draw lengths suitable for a 4 year old. I don't mind spending a little since the boy is growing up fast and seems to show interest in his own way - by sitting on my lap and watching me fletch arrows. It won't be long before I can pass the bow along to him if it doesn't fly with the girl.

Any thoughts on what I should be looking for?

Thanks,

Fritz
Old 02-05-2004, 04:38 PM

Default RE: Youth Bow for a 4 year old?

try www.staceyarchery.com i got my boy the tom thumb and he loves it.
Old 02-06-2004, 03:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Why are you set on a compound?There are many recurves for the youngsters that start at 5# and 10#'s.Bear makes really good ones.Both my kids started when they were 2 shooting and they are 5 and 9 now and love it.My daughter is shooting compound now and my son will move into a compound this year.

If you are set on a compound,I would suggest the Martin Tiger.It has draw modules from 17"-23"(come with bow) and the limbs are 10#-20# starting out and go up to 40#'s I believe.You need to buy different limbs as they grow but they aren't expensive.This is a "real bow".Machined riser and all.I am in the process of getting my daughter one now.A couple more is the PSE Spyder and Browning also makes a nice one but the Martin,imo,is the best of the bunch at the same price.Around $180.00
depending on your area.

Let me make one more suggestion,try and find out wich eye is dominant and buy a bow to fit the dominant eye and not the dominant hand.It would be easier to start her out right than for her to switch later,as I am having to do with my daughter.To check,you need to have her hold up her hands together,making a circle with her fingers.Have her look at you from about 20 ft. and try to get her to circle your head with her fingers.You then look at which eye is in the circle and that is the dominant eye.I REALIZE THIS MIGHT BE TOUGH TO DO WITH A 4 YEAR OLD BUT TRY ANYWAY.I hope this makes since.

Go to www.martinarchery.com and check them out.
Old 02-06-2004, 03:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

3dbowhunter,I just checked out the Stacey bows and the tom thumb bow looks like a really nice kids bow.What kind of price do they have and did you order direct or do they have dealers? I haven't seen them anywhere around here.

I just saw where you can order them online from them.Same price as most other youth bows.I can get the Martin for $159.00 and there isn't much difference if any between the two.
Old 02-06-2004, 05:01 PM

It really depends how big your 4 y.o. is. My daughter (4) could not hold up, much less shoot any of the youth bows out there. The only one I didn't try was the Tom Thumb. However, I bought her a little long bow from Kustom King archery and she loves it. 10# pull at her 16" drawlength. I make her arrows from 5/16 dowels so the whole outfit is really cheap.
Old 02-06-2004, 05:04 PM

tfox i called them and ask where the closest dealer was . i paid around 180 for my sons bow.i started him with a little red bow i got at k-mart then got him his tom thumb.now his arrows stick in the target and he likes it more. it was well worth it to me.
Old 02-07-2004, 12:47 AM

I started my son on a pse nova jr. when he was 5. its a good bow for beginers. costs about 40.00. if you want some thing she can grow into. try the browning micro midas 3. it has 10" of draw adjustment. peak weight of about 40#. shooting a 200 grain arrow it has an ibo speed of around 275. and only weighs 2.6lbs. you can purchase one for about 160.00. good luck!!
Old 02-07-2004, 06:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Mr Fritze I bought my daughter a small recurve when she was 4 and then moved her up to a Bowtech Rascal when she was 7 .

nubo
Old 02-07-2004, 10:13 AM

mrfritz44,

Make sure you look at the genisis line from Matthews (Parker and a couple other companies also offer it). The bow is adjustible from the youngest kid up to a 30" draw. Weights is adjustible from 10-25lbs. There is not the standard type of let off with this compound so it is very close to shooting with a recurve/longbow. I started both my Sons with recurves.When they wanted to use compounds I picked the PSE Nova for my oldest son and the Matthews genisis for the younger. Take a look at the genesis it will grow with the shooter.

bmott
Old 02-07-2004, 09:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I really checked this stuff out last year. I chose a Hoyt Banshee. It had a ton of adjustability on the lower end. Got it down to 11 lbs draw weight and about 15" draw length. It was the only compound that would fit him when he was 4 1/2. Most of the "kids bows" have too long of draw lengths for young kids, 6 and under. 7 years and up there are alot of choices. The Hoyt Banshee he has is now set at 21 lbs and about 16 1/2 " draw and it shoots really fast, very flat. He just shot his first regoinal tournament today, he shot a 248 with 8 X's. He'll get to go to the state shoot in a month! I'm pumped! He's 6 1/4 years old and in kindergarden !