Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Best way to find what broadhead to use!!!! >

Best way to find what broadhead to use!!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Best way to find what broadhead to use!!!!

Old 02-03-2004, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

Default Best way to find what broadhead to use!!!!

This works!!!!! This idea hit me in the middle of the night, don't know why I never tried it sooner! This will work for anyone!

First, and this is most important, you must find a building that is solid brick. Not the softer brick, but one built with good quality brick.

2nd, take your hunting arrow with broadhead and take 25 paces back, turn, aim and fire!

Now here is the best part:

if your broadhead doesn't penetrate and passthrough the brick wall, you need a different broadhead! If it doesn't pass through the brick wall, go out and buy another brand and type of broadhead and perform the test again. If that broadhead does not pass through the brick wall, go buy another broadhead and do it again! Do this until you find a broadhead that will pass through the brick wall, then you will know what broadhead to shoot!

Disclaimer: I am not responsible in any form, either partly or totally for the destruction of broadheads or arrows performed in this test. Furthermore, I am not responsible or liable for any monetary loss, injuries, or possible death suffered during these tests!

For those who have posted about shooting a broadhead directly into a shoulder blade or heavy leg bone, no matter what animal it may have been, and then decried about lack of penetration and the destruction of your broadhead.......then this test will work for you!
Old 02-03-2004, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best way to find what broadhead to use!!!!

I am glad to see that one of us is perfect everytime. I myself have not made referance to hiting a shoulder blade. However if you have never made a marginal shot then you are better than almost all of us. I beleive that the referance was probably made" in the event of" hitting the blade in a marginal shot. I have made a marginal shot before , and yes I drove through the paddle bone. And I also feel that if I didn't have a good penetrating head with good KE, the animal would have been no more than coyote food. I beleive that this thread is just trying to stir up more trouble and is very dirogotory to those that made this reference. It is also showing the less experienced hunters that any old broadhead will do. The animals deserve a quick clean kill. And your comments are only going against the beleifs of those who are taking the time to do it in their best possible way. One of the other moderators should lock this down.
Old 02-03-2004, 10:31 AM

2nd, take your hunting arrow with broadhead and take 25 paces back, turn, aim and fire!
WIMP!!!!!

Take the shot at 3 paces and we will seperate the men from the mice

And I do agree with you. Lots of bad shots being blamed on the wrong link in the chain
Old 02-03-2004, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

Geesh Elk, lighten up. I never claimed to be perfect and have made less than desireable shots at game. Nothing was posted in my feeble attempt at a joke, that had anything to do with any post you have made.

Just seems that once in a while, someone posts about hitting heavy bone.....dead on, and automatically its the broadheads fault. Some designs fare better than others and those designs/brand/type interest me more than others. I suppose in a way I was hoping to impress upon a few bowhunters the fact that no matter what type of broadhead is used, shot placement is most important, and that IF a shot is off target, take responsibility and do not place blame directly on equipment. Equipment can fail, but most times its human error. We are human so we all make errors........and sometimes things do happen. What we can all do is to become as proficient as possible and know our limitations.

Take the shot at 3 paces and we will seperate the men from the mice
Rack, that makes me a mouse![&o]

Sorry if my joke offended anybody and any moderator is welcome to delete this thread at their choosing.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've killed a decent number of deer with my bow. More than I would have liked, have encountered bone other that rib. Using a quality broadhead helps in getting the job done in spite of a marginal hit. It is of my experience and opinion that hitting the flat "paddle" of the shoulder should not cause damage to the broadhead. Hitting the ridge or solid part of the shoulder bone may cause some head damage, I guess it depends on the angle of hit. Hitting spine usually damages the broadhead for further use at game, however I have still been able to use some in practice.

My setups have usually been on the higher poundage, heavier arrow type using a sturdy 125 gr fixed head(90% of the time that being thunderheads). I don't think its reasonable to assume a head will bust thru bone if not driven to the proper energy levels. As well, I think a quality head pushed fast enough should withstand hitting bone enough to finish its job of killing the animal in a recoverable distance. It may not be usable again, but if it kills the animal it worked.

This is what I expect out of a broadhead, BUT should the unfortunate situation arise where I hit a deer where I shouldn't and don't recover it, I will not be blaming the broadhead.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

Wimp. I totally agree with the fact that some broadheads hold up better than other broadheads due to less than perfect shots, and have a better chance to finish game.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cougar Mag, I was just defending the fellow bow hunters. Now that you have impressed upon your intentions with the post I now see your view. It seemed to me that you were going against peoples beleifs about broadhead choice. I was of those involved in the heated debate and felt that this was a carry over. I guesse that I am suffering from CWD. Continually Wanting to Deer hunt. And you are correct about people needing to work as hard on themselves as they do their equipment. I do however also beleive that one should take care to make sure that if a marginal shot is made that there is the optimum chance of recovering the animal. And with the penetration tests that I do I try to get the perfect balance of accuracy and penetration to insure a quick clean kill. I hunt alot of large animals and penetration is the name of the game. So these tests are beneficial and foolish nonsense. I dont however shoot brick walls as I have found it to be expensive when you shoot A/C/C's Have a great day!!!
Old 02-03-2004, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

A new testing method for 5-shot to try
Old 02-03-2004, 11:39 AM
Fork Horn

People's lack of being able to comprehend sarcasm has always baffled me.

Anyone who gets their undies in a bunch over this post is not undestanding what Cougar Mag is really saying. Which is basically this: No matter what broadhead you shoot, if you get a direct hit to the shoulder blade you're going to get significantly decreased penetration. So you can argue the point of which head is best until you're all blue in the faces, it doesn't matter. If you get a good hit on an animal it's going to go down quick no matter what head you're using, so do what works best for you.

If people are reading more into this than that, you're way off base. Personally, I found this thread rather amusing. Of course, I am a smarta$$.
Old 02-03-2004, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont wear undies. Do you? Oh crap, wrong website!!!!

Quick Reply: Best way to find what broadhead to use!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.