Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Question: Sharp Broadheads vs. dull broadheads >

Question: Sharp Broadheads vs. dull broadheads

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question: Sharp Broadheads vs. dull broadheads

Old 01-20-2004, 11:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Question: Sharp Broadheads vs. dull broadheads

Good question, bigbulls. I know several times when I've pulled my arrows out of the ground after pass-thrus, I've noticed dulled, dinged, or sometimes dented blades. Most of the times, I don't think the ground's doing it, so it must be happening while busting through ribs or the like. I know they're sharp going in, but at what point during the pass-through is the blade losing its sharpness? Must not matter too much; I've been fortunate enough to recover all of them so far.
Old 01-21-2004, 05:38 AM
Dominant Buck

Yes it would dull it some(passing through a rib).... but for us to try and come up with a "Degree of dullness" is impossible. Worry more about putting the arrow through a rib than how much it will dull the head. If it's sharp to begin with and you hit the rib the critter is as good as dead. That's all you need to know.
Old 01-21-2004, 06:55 AM

a cleanly cut wound is going to bleed more profusely than a cut made by a dull edge. The dull edge leaves somehwat of a serated edge on the wound, allowing clots to form more quickly.

Agreed, but I doubt there would be a substantial difference in blood trail.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Excellent discussion! I too, AGREE with the principles and responsibilities of using sharp broadheads. However bear with me as I play devils advocate here.

Define sharp.

I don't think it is any secret that what one may deem as acceptable another might totally refuse. For example compare a Montec G5 to a Steel Force or a Rocky Mountain. By comparison they are not in the same universe when it comes to sharpness. Even when "touched up" after being in my quiver a while I can't shave hair with the G5. However after taking a number of animals with all three of these heads, to be totally honest I see no difference in the blood trails.

Even a "dull" broadhead is not going to "push" or "slide" the lungs out of the way on a center punched animal. One of the dullest heads I ever used was a BoneBuster. If your familiar with these heads than you know that they don't even have a point that is pointed [&:][]. I spent a long time trying to get it sharp but never could achieve that "razors edge". Although I don't think taking two animals with a head makes me an authority, I can tell you that I couldn't tell any difference in the blood trail in comparison to other "sharp" heads. Here is the real kicker. On both sides of this head are two "bleeder blades" I call them blades but they are more like wings. They are only 1/4 inch deep and you can't really sharpen them. Upon examination of the animals I could see in detail where these unsharpened wings had cut their way through the animal and its vitals. Penetration was also a non factor.

I think a guy is fooling himself if he believes sharpness is not effected by hitting ribs or other bones on the way in. I have recovered heads that punched through both sides of the animal but never penetrated the earth that are jagged and notched. It doesn't happen with every shot but it certainly does occur. I do think this particular part of the issue however has more to do with the construction of the head than it is with sharpness.

I know a guy that shoots traditional equipment that made his own arrows and broadheads out of rocks. He indeed killed a deer with them. While that wouldn't be my style it did open my eyes and caused me to think about the equipment I was using. Again let me say that I agree it is a good idea to use sharp broadheads, I just have a broader interpretation of what "sharp" is now.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:39 AM

I'd just stick to keeping them razor sharp for the sake of maybe injuring an animal. Sometimes you may stick an arrow in the shoulder on accident. If you'd a had a sharp broadhead, you could at least have a chance at going through the shoulder enough to get to the vitals.
Old 01-21-2004, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think this is really a no brainer.but on bigger deer or maby a big hog what about a kodiak bear i know i would want the sharpest broadhead i could find to do the job. for a more leathel kill. or maby if you get a bad hit for some reason.I would want as much advantage i could get to bring him down quickly as possable!
Old 01-21-2004, 05:13 PM

quote:

a cleanly cut wound is going to bleed more profusely than a cut made by a dull edge. The dull edge leaves somehwat of a serated edge on the wound, allowing clots to form more quickly.

Agreed, but I doubt there would be a substantial difference in blood trail.
maybe not a substantial difference, but it may give you those last 3 drops of blood thru the thickest cover to where you spot your deer. Im not saying a sharp blade is going to cause a 3ft spray of blood. There isnt really a way to prove weather it does or not but it may give you a little more blood towards the end of the blood trail than if a really dull blade wound had began to clot already. I think next year i may try those montecs, they look super solid and super sharp, and easy to keep sharp.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:16 AM

jroot: don't even think of hunting with dull broadheads. We shoot these weapons to cause blood loss. A surgeon with a dull scapel in his hand is like you going to the field with dull b-heads. Folks going under the knife would want a 2nd. opinion. You have done that and you can tell by our replies that sharp is the only way to go afield.