Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Muzzy broadheads? Which ones are sharp? >

Muzzy broadheads? Which ones are sharp?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Muzzy broadheads? Which ones are sharp?

Old 09-11-2003, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Muzzy broadheads? Which ones are sharp?

I made a little mistake with my broadheads. I had one set of sharp blades I used for practice and the rest for hunting. At the end of the season I mixed them back up into those little cases. The three dull ones should be in a row. But I sharpened them with a pretty good sharpener. So how can I tell if they are all sharp enough to use for deer? Should I not worry about it? I' m not 100percent sure that I sharpened all of the ones i used for practice, thats why im worried. Thanks for the help, I need this info cuz I just found out I get to go fallow deer hunting next wed. on his farm. thanks-Sam
Old 09-11-2003, 09:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Muzzy broadheads? Which ones are sharp?

Sam,
There are a few little tests you can do.........if you' re brave take the blade and try to shave some arm hair (If you are 15yrs old could be an issue?) Might try the neighbor' s dog? (No don' t do that either!)
Take the blade and slide it on an angle across your thumbnail........(pull it edge first like you were trying to shave your fingernail)if it slides easily it dull. If it sticks and bites into the nail rather than slide it' s sharp enough to do the job.
A think rubber band stretched between fingers slid slowly and lightly across the blade will show you pretty quickly as well.
Old 09-11-2003, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator

Shaving arm hair always works for me. Funny how co-workers give you a funny look after seeing my arms in hunting season.
Old 09-12-2003, 12:37 AM

If you used some blades for practice, look at the edge of the blade at a 90 degree angle (Looking straight at the sharpened area) if it' s shinny...it' s dull.
Old 09-12-2003, 04:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for your help.
Old 09-12-2003, 06:10 AM
Fork Horn

Man I' ve tried to sharpen those muzzy blades before, and I just can' t seem to get them sharp. I even went through a three step process I found in some article, using different stones etc. and still can' t seem to get them to my satisfaction.

Anybody got any hints on sharpening the Muzzy blades, I hate having to trust the " right out of the package" blades as being super sharp.
Old 09-12-2003, 07:04 AM
Fork Horn

Shaving sharp is good enough for me..........
Old 09-12-2003, 07:19 AM

Lightly stretching a rubber band between your fingers and lightly sliding a broadhead over it should give you a pretty good indication of sharpness. If it requires pressure to cut it its definatly not sharp enough.
I use a truangle 4 blade ceramic broadhead sharpener to keep my muzzys razor sharp. I remove the trokar tip when sharpening.
Old 09-12-2003, 08:17 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-12-2003, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Howd do you sharpen the tips if you practice with them Navy? I don' t know I think i just rigged up two of them one practice blades one regular.

Quick Reply: Muzzy broadheads? Which ones are sharp?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.