Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Does any body Shoot grouse or phesant with a bow? >

Does any body Shoot grouse or phesant with a bow?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Old 01-19-2004, 02:12 PM
Fork Horn

Default Does any body Shoot grouse or phesant with a bow?

Old 01-19-2004, 03:17 PM

Default RE: Does any body Shoot grouse or phesant with a bow?

Used to hunt pheasants with recurve. However, that was when the ground cover was such that the birds would hold until you were on top of them. Now, they run cross-country marathons and eventually get up in the next county.
Old 01-19-2004, 03:18 PM

no but i really want to try and hunt pheasant with bow... i think grouse would be way to fast, i almost got a shot at one on the ground a few years back but i would really like to take a pheasant out of the air with a bow someday
Old 01-19-2004, 03:47 PM

I havent yet but I am going to try. I think it would be quite the challenge.
Old 01-19-2004, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't say I purposely hunt them with a bow, but have got many shots off at grouse over the years, mostly from still hunting deer - the grouse seem to stay put in the trees if you are quiet enough. Also, I've been driving through the woods and have come across grouse eating stones on the two track. I've had many shots on them like this but more times than not, they'll let ya get out of the truck, open the back up, get the bow out of the case, knock an arrow, pull back, and then they launch. Funny how that is. And no, I've never hit one yet.
Old 01-19-2004, 05:20 PM

I grew up on a farm in Idaho, and I remember watching my dad and some of his bowhunting buddies shoot pheasants out of the air, they were using arrows called flu flu arrows. The fletchings on the arrows had really feathery fletches that were over matched for the arrows so when the arrow is launched in the arrow it slows down real quick. All of the guys were using recurve bows.
I always keep one arrow in my quiver for a grouse, when i'm hunting (camp meat) and very delicious I might add.
Old 01-19-2004, 05:40 PM

have shot one Grouse from the ground would love to shoot either from the air....
Old 01-19-2004, 08:41 PM

buckmastr229,
I get a few shots at grouse every year while elk hunting with my bow.
They are pretty good BBQ and are excellent in the dutch oven.

P.S. I have never taken a shot at a bird in the air though...
Old 01-20-2004, 02:41 AM

I always keep one arrow in my quiver for a grouse, when i'm hunting (camp meat) and very delicious I might add.
Yep thats me to. We call it our grouse arrow but it also crosses as a squirrel arrow and a rabbit arrow and a quail arrow and whatever edible small game that may run across my path. Oh ya also works great as a back up if ever needed.

And I also love to eat grouse every way that I have tried it so far. Has everyone heard about the best way to clean them? I just learned last year, You lay the birds down on their backs with the head away from you, put your feet on there wings right next to there breast, now grab their feet and just pull up real slow. If done correct (most of the time) it will seperate and all you will end up with is the legs and inerds in your hands and the wings and just the breast on the ground now cut or break the wings off and your good to go. Now this is great unless your like me and half the time I try to salvage every stich of meat and try and save the legs.
Old 01-20-2004, 07:31 AM
Fork Horn

Does anyone know if it is legal to have a line (string) attatched to your bow when bird hunting? No, I am not looking at 'fighting' them. I just do not want to loose arrows.

Quick Reply: Does any body Shoot grouse or phesant with a bow?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.