Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hunt downwind or buy all the fancy scent free stuff? >

Hunt downwind or buy all the fancy scent free stuff?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunt downwind or buy all the fancy scent free stuff?

Old 01-08-2004, 09:21 AM

Default Hunt downwind or buy all the fancy scent free stuff?

I just wondered how many like that scent-lok stuff, i just hunt down wind and use scent killer autumn spray. During the winter, i don't even bother because the deer are so scared after gun season, covering scent doesn't change their pattern, so far as i've seen.[:-]
Old 01-08-2004, 09:28 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Hunt downwind or buy all the fancy scent free stuff?

You can never go wrong hunting the wind. For the price of a good Scent Lok type suit you can buy 2 nice camo suits of different patterns. If I were going to try the scent lok stuff I'd just buy a liner. Even if you go whole hog on the scent proof garments you still have bows, breath, stands, boots etc that'll give you away. To me.... they're over hyped and pushed by all the hunting shows ONLY because they're sponsors. They may and probably do help some... maybe even a lot at times.... but nothing beats being downwind. If you get lazy you're going to get screwed.
Old 01-08-2004, 09:48 AM

Amen Davidmil!

Are they really worth the loot? I don't believe so. Take the necessary precautions to stay scent free and hunt the wind.
Old 01-08-2004, 10:09 AM

I started off hard core scent free as possible.........but I have learned to hunt the wind !! You can't beat their nose............you simply can't !!!
I think trying to..... was the most frustrating thing I have experienced in bowhunting !

In actuality ........I think when you come to this realization......you become a much better bowhunter........and set up stand locations much better !

Good Luck !!
Old 01-08-2004, 10:16 AM

Well, I have a different aprroach to the whole "wind" situation. I don't "hunt" the wind. I don't have the scent "eliminating" suits or any of that othe stuff. I spray on some scent killer and go hunting. If I am "concerned", I will take a scent killing shower then spray with some scent killer

My biggest goal is to be in the perfect set-up in an area where the deer are at. Sometimes the perfect tree isn't going to be down wind from the deer. I don't go to another stand if I think deer are going to be there, I just hunt! I would much rather be up wind from deer, in a perfect stand that breaks me up and puts me right in the action than be in a down-wind stand that isn't as good.

Now, one thing that I should mention is that my area isn't the big woods or anything like that. These deer see humans on a daily basis and there is always human scent around. The deer have learned not to care that much about human scent, they just listen for noise and look for movement.
Old 01-08-2004, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

Using scent control suits helps along with scent sprays and what-not, but using the wind to your advantage is a much bigger factor. If you get winded......its over! Hopefully most of us have more than one place to hunt. If the wind is not right to hunt a certain stand according to deer movements, its best to not hunt that stand that day. I would rather stay home and not hunt, than ruin a good stand site being busted by a mature deer.
Old 01-08-2004, 10:32 AM

In actuality ........I think when you come to this realization......you become a much better bowhunter........and set up stand locations much better !
Bingo Man Bingo

Let them market what they want - you will not get it past a mature buck.

When you learn to use the wind not only for your stand placements but just as important for both your entry and exit routes - you success rate will increase.

I write off that pie wedge down wind of me as deadmans land - and do everything in my power to keep that wedge away from deer.

Of course the deer uaually have a different plan
Old 01-08-2004, 10:37 AM

I have been using a "Scent Lock" liner for the last 6 years. In that time I have taken my 3 biggest bucks and countless does. 2 of the bucks and several does I took downwind from me. I am also a fanatic when it comes to sent control, to the point that my hunting buddy's laugh at me. I also use an autum cover sent on my outer camo. The bucks I took down wind from me never knew I was there. I contribute that on a large part to the scent lock liner.

You can get a scent liner for around $100.

My opinion: The direction that a deer might approach you is unpredictable. Why blow the chance for the buck of a lifetime over a $100.
Old 01-08-2004, 10:41 AM

As most have said, you have to hunt the wind. The scent-lok suits may help limit human scent but it won't be eliminated. What keeps me grounded in reality is that one episode on COPS where the drug dealers wrapped all their dope in plastic zip-lock bags filled with dryer sheets. Did it fool the dog? You bet your a$$ it didn't. A deer's nose is at least as good. Hunt the wind.
Old 01-08-2004, 10:45 AM

I am always looking for whatever advantage I can to outwit these critters but have never really considered the scent-lok-blocker stuff. IMO it is too expensive and if you do a little homework, you'll find inherent flaws (noisy when cold, carbon becoming less effective with use) that I think make it a poor investment of my hard earned $'s. I would rather rely on proper stand placement, prevailing winds, and reasonable attempts to diminish scent.

Quick Reply: Hunt downwind or buy all the fancy scent free stuff?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.