Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hunt downwind or buy all the fancy scent free stuff? >

Hunt downwind or buy all the fancy scent free stuff?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunt downwind or buy all the fancy scent free stuff?

Old 01-08-2004, 11:35 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Hunt downwind or buy all the fancy scent free stuff?

Here's a homemade scent killer recipe I pulled off the internet at the beginning our last season. I've used it religiously and I haven't heard a snort all year. I was directly downwind at ground level on several occasions and was never winded. I also took my archery deer and can credit this stuff. I had leather boots on and had walked all over the area looking for a tree (first time I hunted that particular tree). I missed this deer on the first shot and it proceeded to circle downwind of me, nose high in the air. He never caught wind and I ended up getting a second shot that took him.

1 gallon distilled water (or clean creek water, just no chlorines or iodines in it)
1/2 box of baking soda
16 oz peroxide
2 shot glasses of Hunters Specialty green liquid soap

Pour out enough water from a gallon jug to get the other stuff in and let it fizz for a while after mixing (about 1 hour or the top will pop off). Then just transfer to a spray bottle and you're set.

128 oz cost about $4.50 vs $8-$10 for 16-32oz of some other fancy kind.

Other guys have tried it as well and say they've had success. I won't hunt without it again.

Fritz
Old 01-08-2004, 11:48 AM

I got all the scent free clothing and stuff and still hunt down wind. It's a win win deal.....
Old 01-08-2004, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I try to use the wind as much as possible, but I'll second mr.fritz, I whipped up a batch of ghost juice this year and had deer eating out of Rack's pie and they didn't have a clue...
Old 01-08-2004, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I am at a mix between the 2 trains of thought. I take fairly standard scent control practices(no scent lock) and have had deer down wind of me many times and only on occasion get busted, and its never really cost me. I'd much rather play the wind on my entrance than while actually in the stand. Give me a good stand in a bad wind over a bad stand in the perfect wind. I've had too many deer come in from directly down wind of me without spooking for me to get all caught up in that. Now don't go thinking I'm wreckless either, I'll play it when I can, but I just don't get too extreme about it.
Old 01-08-2004, 02:14 PM

what does it hurt to have the little extra advantage of having a scent-lok suit? it is not like you are hurting yourself by doing so, all it can do is help. I try to take every little extra bit of help that i can get in order to shoot a deer. I bought my scent-lok suit back in fall 2000 and have used it almost everytime i am bow hunting. Since then, i have been winded but mostly because i did not take my time and rushed to my stand and started to sweat. since then, i have learned that you don't always need to wear your suit all the way in. In the fall, i wear just my pants and rubber boats and tie the jacket and hold the head net, when i get within about 200 yards of my stand, i suit up fully and spray down and take the rest of the walk in pretty slow. I was not winded once this year and the nice 9 point that i shot this year came from downwind of me. Since i started to use scent-lok, i have shot 8 deer, 6 bucks and 2 does. Before i had the scent-lok, big old goose 0. so i am convinced and i talked to a real bowhunter who shots a huge deer every year who the past 20 years and he sees always stay scent free
Old 01-08-2004, 02:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

BM, Didn't you make a post this season about not seeing deer even though you had scouted and done your homework? You think it might have something to do with not paying attention to the wind?

Urban deer get used to humans in there life, but not in the area's where they really feel safe.

Wind in my face. Or I get down and move.
Old 01-08-2004, 02:56 PM

I enjoy playing the wind. Since I ground hunt quite a bit I find the need to really practice the skill. Sure it's more difficult but when you learn the how to's of avoiding their nose the satisfaction is multiplied. There is no doubt that some of the modern items can help but there is a certainty nobody could doubt. That certainty is the accomplishment of out-foxing the critters. When you do it you will remember what I've just written. Nothing quite like sneaking into their playground and doing the busting/vice being busted. All you fellas and ladies that prefer to hug trees are invited to join us ground hunters. Trust me you're in for a real hoot once you learn the wind game.
Old 01-08-2004, 03:04 PM

Hey MrFritz, thanks for the scent killer concoction. I'll try it.
Old 01-08-2004, 03:16 PM
Fork Horn

I use scent killer spay and try to use the wind to my advantage..............
Old 01-08-2004, 03:17 PM

One of my friends who lives on Oahu shot 20 pigs in one year with his recurve. Now that's alot of pigs to catch in a heavily hunted public hunting area in Hawaii. The pigs are smart. He told me that the scent lock suit makes all the difference.

So lately the wind has constantly been messing up my pig hunts. I would be blocking trails with my gun while friends would lead the dogs and every now and then the wind would switch and blow my scent right into the place that I would expect the pigs to come from. But just for a minute at a time. Still I was concerened it would give me away, and sure enough, the pigs would come down the trail and turn off just before I could almost see them. So I'm fed up. I bought a scent lock undergarment last month and a head cover. But I won't be wearing gloves or scent proof shoes so I know I'm not totally scent free. I'm sure they will still be able to smell my gun or bow too.

I hunt from the grownd and still will play the wind, but I hope that when the wind switches direction, I won't be given away as easily. I haven't gotten the chance to use it yet. Maybe I'll go try bowhunting today but it's just so Hot out right now. I'm waiting for some clouds.

I'll let you guys know if it makes a difference.

Quick Reply: Hunt downwind or buy all the fancy scent free stuff?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.