Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Replace fletching or buy new arrow? >

Replace fletching or buy new arrow?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Replace fletching or buy new arrow?

Old 01-04-2004, 05:25 PM

Default Replace fletching or buy new arrow?

i am just getting into the sport of bowhunting and was shooting some arrows into some hay bales with plywood behind it and *missed* the hay bales and the arrow went almost all the way through the ply wood. it got stuck in there and the wood chewwed up one of the fletchings pretty bad. i was wondering if it would be better to buy a new arrow ($2.50) or replace the fletching ($7.00 for whole kit) do you prefer putting on the fletchings on with a helical spiral? i will be getting more hay bales soon so wont be a problem for long just wondering what all of you do. remember this is just a practice arrow. thnx for reading.
Old 01-04-2004, 06:50 PM

Default RE: Replace fletching or buy new arrow?

if you are going to stay with archery i would recommend buying a fletching tool. I also used hay bales when i started and had numerous pass throughs and missing fletchings. not knowing much i glued them back on by hand..
As far as helical, unless you are using a fall away rest i would shoot straight fletching.
you can buy an Arizona fletching tool for around 40.00. it will pay for itself in the long run, especially when you buy the carbon arrows.
hope this helps
Old 01-04-2004, 08:39 PM

Ive said this before and im gonna say it again,

What i like to do, is go down to my local sporting goods store and pick up some fletch-tite, you then glue the fletching on the arrow, kick back while you wait a couple hrs for it to dry, after that its ready to fly!

good luck
Old 01-04-2004, 09:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you like Archery ,then you won't mind working on your own gear.I would definetly be buying a jig . But if you can get an arrow for $2.50 they must be cheap one's . But buy a jig for future they're a bit expensive but well worth it.

nubo
Old 01-04-2004, 10:34 PM

Usually I would just change the fletchings, I would just take it down to my local pro shop and he usuallly doesnt charge but when he does it is not much at all, maybe like a dollar. And as for your practice arrows, what you are doing is excactly what I did when I started but they were also my hunting arrows but I soon found out that those "Wal-Mart" type cheapys are very inconsistent in weight and one will shoot just a little different then another. So I am saying that they are good to practice with but I would buy a good set of arrows and practice with them before you go hunting and of course use them for hunting
Old 01-09-2004, 04:02 PM

have your local proshop do it, it is much cheaper that way. on;y caost me 1.50