Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Fred Bear

Old 01-03-2004, 08:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default Fred Bear

Anyone ever read a book about Fred Bear that his favorite shot on big game was a rump shot?

Someone posted it on another site and I am trying to confirm his comments.

I talked to one guy who said he had read all of Fred's books and can't recall an mention of this shot.

Anyone a Fred Bear guru out there?
Old 01-04-2004, 08:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Fred Bear

The archer's bible 1968 By Fred Bear " A shot through the rear hams which cuts the femoral artery usually causes death very quickly. Any shot angled from the rear in which the arrow goes in behind the ribs and ranges forward is excellent. This is one of my favorite shots to take while hunting from a blind, letting the animal walk slighty past you before raising slowly to shoot.

This is after he explains about lung, heart ,liver, stomach, shots etc. And the way the paragraphs are formated it seems that he is talking about a shot to the rear end. After all it would be a shot coming in from behind the ribs.

2 years ago I took a shot at a doe that was broadside facing left, upon releasing the deer spun and took off to the right. I saw my fletchings for a split second veer to the left and was shocked how I could have missed,but figured something went wrong. Well I couldn't find my arrow or signs of a hit. I followed where the deer ran and low and behold she was laying 50 yds up the trail with about 4" of my arrow sticking directly out of its anus. Only a few drops of blood and I estimate it died in about 10 - 15 seconds after the shot. Makes you think. I have read also somewhere that if you can make that shot to take it. You be the judge.
Old 01-04-2004, 11:17 AM

I've got an old book by Chuck Adams and he approved of the rump shot, at least back then anyway.

IMO, it's an unethical shot, but it will kill game.
Old 01-04-2004, 01:45 PM
Fork Horn

But no where does Fred come out and say his favorite is the rump shot?

I've heard that Adams likes it from two people now.......
Old 01-04-2004, 06:27 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

I/ve gut shot one deer and it was a horrible thing to field dress. I don't think I want to start aiming for one. I'll pass.

David
Old 01-04-2004, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

The rear artery shot is very lethal! First, its to small of a shot for me and second I'm not Fred Bear, nor are most of us.

Good Luck!