Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Whats your cold weather attire >

Whats your cold weather attire

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Whats your cold weather attire

Old 12-29-2003, 10:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Whats your cold weather attire

Heh, heh. Now you can tell that's a man (davidmil) with some experience cold-weather hunting!
Old 12-29-2003, 10:40 PM

IT GETS COLD A FEW TIMES HERE IN TENNESSEE THIS IS WHAT I PUT ON...

LONG JON PANTS
LONG JON LONG SLEEVE SHIRT
ANOTHER PAIR OF REGULAR PANTS
LONG SLEEVE CAMO SHIRT
INSULATED CAMO JACKET
PAIR OF LONG WOOL SOCKS
GLOVES
FACE MASK
LACROSSE BURLY RUBBER BOOTS 800 GRAMS.
THAT IS WHAT I PUT ON.
Old 12-30-2003, 07:18 AM
Fork Horn

bottom:
long johns, gitch, track pants (sometimes 2 pairs), 2 pairs of socks, insulated (-50) rubber boots
top:
tank top, 2 tshirts, 1 wool vest, long sleeve cotton shirt, sweatshirt, flannel jacket, rubber(surgical gloves) and thinsulate gloves over them, camo balaclava.

insulated coveralls over all of this.

It gets cold in Canada, eh.
Old 12-30-2003, 07:26 AM
Typical Buck

Lots of Layers. Sometimes I feel like I look like Randy from the Christmas Story. Feels like my arms won't go down

Lots of baggy layers, then my outerwear camo. Warm gloves with those disposable heater packs. One thing I used a couple weeks ago are these heat packs for your lower back. They were REALLY nice. It was about a 10 degree morning. So, I decided to wrap one around me. Made a HUGE difference. Kept my whole body warm. Check em out. Can get them at any drugstore.

j
Old 12-30-2003, 07:28 AM

Once the temp dips below 30 degrees, this is my ticket for staying warm:
- Duofold lightweight Polypro first layer
- Duofold Expedition weight Polypro second layer
- Heavy Fleece Pullover Shirt
- Standard weight 6 pocket pants
- Walls Insulated Bib Coveralls
- Whitewater outdoors HEAVY insulated Fleece jacket
- Gander Mountain Guide Series archers jacket
- Very lightweight polypro socks
- medium weight Wool socks
- Lacross Burely 1200 Gram Thinsulate Rubber Boots
- Hand Warmer Muff stuffed with a couple of MyCoal Grabber hand warmers
- Fleece balacalva hood over a standard baseball style hat

Once it dips below 25 degrees I change to heavy weight wool sock (over the Polypro), Lacrosse SnoKing boots and a wool hat under the balacalva

This system has worked very well at keeping me relatively comfortable on stand in temperatures down to 3 degrees, not including wind chill.
Old 12-30-2003, 05:08 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: justhrowit

Sometimes I feel like I look like Randy from the Christmas Story. Feels like my arms won't go down.

j

I know what you mean.

In response to Justinb, I would definetely think about Holla Bend WMA. They have a lot of nice deer taken from there and I believe it is strictly bowhunting only. Unfortunately I live further south from you and can't refer any other areas to look at closer to your home.

I wear a pair of poly under wear, expedition wt under wear x 2 pair, a fleece shirt and pant, then my scent blocker suit. I still get cold sometimes on those cold mornings here though.
Old 12-30-2003, 05:33 PM
Fork Horn

I went out 3 weekends ago and at 7:00 am it was -9 below and was out from 6am to 1pm and never got cold. here is what it takes;
Long underwear bottoms, insulated wrangler camo jeans, and Spartan Outdoors saddle cloth bibs insulated with poly/cotton lining backed with twill.
T-shirt, turtle-neck sweatshirt, insulated flannel shirt and saddlecloth coat same as bibs with collar and hood to protect neck.
Regular tube-socks, wool socks, LaCross ice king boots.
Pair of Whitewater outdoors insulated gloves, mitts are better but these are warmest gloves I have seen.
Full insulated knitted camo facemask.
Pocket full of hot hands hand warmers.
Only 1/3 brain cells functioning 'cause it is @!%$% cold and something is wrong if you don't stay inside!!!!
Old 12-30-2003, 06:01 PM

In reality it all depends how you are hunting. I have gotten away with poly-pro longjohns under a windbloc fleece coat and pants at -10F and spent all day out spot and stalking. I carry another set of fleece coat and pants in my pack if I have to sit for long. High winds and rain/moisture add a whole new element.

Cotton kills, so you will never see me in the field wearing cotton.

I've never sat in a tree stand so I have no idea what you'd need for that.
Old 12-30-2003, 07:10 PM
Dominant Buck

AKDOUG... if you wore what you wear sitting in a tree for about 4 hours..... we'd find you still in the tree come the spring thaw. It's a whole different world sitting still than it is walking and snooping. For example, today wasn't really cold but I dressed as if it were because the wind was blowing 25-35 according to the weather man. I mean, the old tree was rocking this afternoon. You'd freeze your bibby off sitting still with what your wear.
Old 12-31-2003, 11:48 AM

ORIGINAL: davidmil

AKDOUG... if you wore what you wear sitting in a tree for about 4 hours..... we'd find you still in the tree come the spring thaw. It's a whole different world sitting still than it is walking and snooping. For example, today wasn't really cold but I dressed as if it were because the wind was blowing 25-35 according to the weather man. I mean, the old tree was rocking this afternoon. You'd freeze your bibby off sitting still with what your wear.

Micro-Berber Vest from Cabela's !! I got one from Santa and it is WARM!!
Now if they would only make socks with the same stuff.

Quick Reply: Whats your cold weather attire

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.