HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Whats your cold weather attire (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/47666-whats-your-cold-weather-attire.html)

arkansasbowhunter 12-29-2003 06:20 PM

Whats your cold weather attire

What do you wear when it gets real cold outside???

JustinBinAR 12-29-2003 06:35 PM

RE: Whats your cold weather attire

arkansasbowhunter,
I just recently moved up here to Arkansas (Bentonville) from Texas and I've decided to start giving bowhunting a shot. Can you tell me about any good spots? I'm completely new up here and could use some help :) I'm going to start shooting now (got a bow) and perhaps I'll be ready for next season. Any tips?

zak123 12-29-2003 06:40 PM

Practice....Practice.....Practice. Don't do too much shooting in one day though. Also take shots in your range. Just because billy can take 30 yard shots doesn't mean you can.

JustinBinAR 12-29-2003 06:57 PM

Thanks for the tips, zak.

BUT... I didn't want to jack this thread, so from this point forward, everyone please reply to arkansasbowhunter's topic and not mine. :D

zak123 12-29-2003 07:00 PM

A pair of jeans and mabey a jacket. I live in Mississippi the very very bottom so it doesn't get very cold. Most of my northern hunting friends where insulated clothes.

fuzzjocky2 12-29-2003 07:07 PM

Here is what I wear to bow hunt what I call cold weather (don’t you peoples way up north laugh at me too much) I start with poly under shirt then two fabric thermals poly inner lining with a wool outer shell basic camo over that then I put on a pair of coveralls over that when I get to my stand on my feet I just use thin pair of dress sox with wool socks over them then my swamp walker rubber boots over that. On my head just have a nit beanie cap on .Oh yea put my 3d leafy suit over all of that . PS.Make sure that you practice with all that stuff on

Two Beards 12-29-2003 09:06 PM

During the coldest of weather I wear layers of synthetics
and fleece with a outer layer of insulated bibs and
parka from Gray Wolf Woolins..

Bowonly 12-29-2003 09:20 PM

I go by the starting temp when I go out
60's - 50's: polypro shirt
40's: polypro shirt and coveralls, wool socks (1 pair)
20-30's: polypro, quilted flannel shirt and coveralls, skullcap (toboggan), gloves with fingertips cut off, 1 pr wool socks.
teens: polypro, wool sweater, quilted flannel shirt, coveralls, skullcap, gloves, 1 pr wool socks. (if windy, I'll add a pair of poly leggings under my jeans)

If the wind is blowing, I'll subtract 10 degrees accordingly.
If it's raining, I'll throw a gore-tex jacket on top.

Greg / MO 12-29-2003 10:19 PM

Let's see: layers, layers, layers! :D

thick, wool-blend socks.
A brown, cotton t-shirt left over from the old Army days.
Army cold-weather system insulated underwear (the brown polypropylene stuff).
A wool-blend, brown Army 5-button placket sweater.
9-oz. Chamois pants.
9-oz. Chamois shirt.

1,000-grain Thinsulate boots when the temp drops into the 30's. Somehow, when I'm 30 feet up in my stand, and air can circulate beneath my feet, it always seems colder than it actually is after sitting for a couple hours.

I've got a little felt-like wrap that velcros behind my head which covers my chin, nose and cheeks which I put on when it's real cold, and then a fleece hood/baclava thingy pulls over that.

That's about it. Actually, it doesn't sound like too many layers once I put it in print, but that right there keeps me warm even when the temp drops into the teens. Once it's in the single digits, I'd have to pull out a coat/parka and probably have to put a pair of sweatpants on over the underwear and under the chamois pants, and make sure I had my "hot hands" with me I could break open throughout the day.

davidmil 12-29-2003 10:24 PM

About 3 layers of poly and smart wool undies, wool camo, two wool shirts, fingerless gloves with a pair of thinsulate liners under them, thermax balaclava and camo mask, hat, liner socks under wool, toe chemical heaters in Alpha Burley or Rocky Brutes.