Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 ghillie or 3D suits >

ghillie or 3D suits

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

ghillie or 3D suits

Old 12-29-2003, 11:48 AM

Default ghillie or 3D suits

has anyone ever used a traditional ghillie suit(like military snipers) or one of the new 3D suits how much better do they work or has anyone made their own
Old 12-29-2003, 02:42 PM

Default RE: ghillie or 3D suits

I like the 3D leaf suits because they are light, and are breathable, it allows me to wear clothes underneath!
Old 12-29-2003, 02:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

About a year ago I was camping with my friends and one of them brought a ghillie suit he made. He turned invisible! The 3-d suits look lighter, but I'm sure either one would work well.
Old 12-31-2003, 07:32 PM

I've used gillie suits in the past for many reasons, war games, hunting both turkey and deer with gun or bow and they work extremely well in blending you into your surroundings. But you will find that unless your using a firearm or crossbow you will most likely have shooting problems from contact with your bow. My suggestion is to just place some artificial leafs on your shoulders, hat and maybe down your sleeves just to break up your outline. Remember deer see in black and white and their's alot to see in the woods, so as long as you keep your movement slow and smooth you should'nt have a problem.
Warmdaze
Old 01-01-2004, 07:32 PM
Fork Horn

I bou one of those "Bug Tamer" 3-d suits this year. First day I had it, I had a doe within 10 yards. Even though I was trying to get turned around and get my bow backin my hand, she looked at me several times and was never alarmed. She ended up just casually walking off (last time I set my bow down for a "rest").

I'm convinced they work. It's supposed to be warmer tomorrow & Saturday (60's)....so I'm planning on breaking it out again.
Old 01-01-2004, 07:57 PM

I wear a scent lock 3D leafy suit. It really seems to break up your outline really good. It is mossy oak break up. It's a little dark in the early season, but after the leaves start falling, It blends right in.
Old 01-02-2004, 03:05 PM
Typical Buck

ASAT ultimate leafy suit.
All you need!