Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Draw Length?

Old 12-27-2003, 09:07 PM

Default Draw Length?

I was just wondering if there is a way to figure out the right draw length without going to a proshop. i am going to buy my first bow and was wondering if there were certain measurements that you could take. i am going to go to the local proshop tomorrow but was hoping to have some idea of what to look for.
Old 12-27-2003, 09:19 PM

Default RE: Draw Length?

Take the knuckle of your dominate hand (i.e. if you are right handed use it, if you are left handed use it) and place it behind your cheek bone on the same side. Extend your other arm all the way out in front of you like you are drawing a bow and then have some one measure that distance. You can add about an inch to that and be fairly close and this will give you a really good idea. It will not be exact, though. Your best bet however is to do just as you plan to do and go to your local pro shop.

Good hunting.
Old 12-28-2003, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeh, here's a way that gets you real close every time. Measure your wingspan, fingertip to tip. Divide by 2.5 Or divide your height by 2.5 Usually wingspna and height are pretty close. Like me, 5'8" tall. Draw length is 27" And each bow can be a tad different, maybe 1/4" but still ball park
Old 12-28-2003, 06:52 PM

thnx for the input. i willl put it to use when buying a bow and talking to the salesman.