Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 would you cut a deers throat? >

would you cut a deers throat?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

would you cut a deers throat?

Old 12-27-2003, 06:36 PM

Default RE: would you cut a deers throat?

finding her still alive I just jumped on her back as she was getting up and cut her throat,
Texans, sheesh!!!! LOL
Old 12-27-2003, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not going to get into shoul you or shouldn't you, but I do know to of my friends who have and have scars to show for it. One the deer kicked at the last second and made him stab himself in the legbone and getting 23 stiches! Another friend actually cut his own wrist on the hand he was using to hold the knife while cutting the throat.

I must add, these two friends are very cautious individuals!!

Good Luck!
Old 12-27-2003, 07:13 PM

I've done it, but I hated the experience. It ruined the whole thing for me. I guess I would do it again if I had to, but I would prefer a second arrow. It has made me ultra conservative in my shot selection and a "fanatic" for quick, clean kills.
Old 12-27-2003, 07:47 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

DOES IT OWE ME MONEY?.
well, I have to say I have put down a deer hit by a car but I used an arrow thru the lungs. took about 20-30 seconds to die after that. The bad part is I waited over an hour after seing it happen for a police officer to arrive (I had called it in since it happened right in front of my house.). The officer agreed to let me use my crossbow since it was about midnight and gunshots might freak people out. Inj the future I probly won't call next time. Using a knife would be an on the spot call. Those antlers, hooves and teeth can ruin your day.
I usually carry a 9mm so if I was out in the country and there weren't any other people around I'd just use that. I've used it on some other animals that were car hit. It's funny how we hunters are the ones who care enough about an animal's suffering to do something to end it.

David
Old 12-27-2003, 07:48 PM
Spike

yes many of times and im sure i will do it again..
Old 12-27-2003, 09:27 PM

It depends on how wounded the deer is. I for one will not jump on a deer if it is still moving around a lot. If the deer is still alive but not moving much, this is the best method.
Old 12-27-2003, 11:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've done that and I also once stabbed a deer in the heart/lung area with my knife while straddling it--both bad ideas which worked at the time. That was many years ago and I don't plan on ever doing it again. Another arrow is the best answer.
Old 12-28-2003, 01:00 AM

I wont do it if they look like they can still get up preatty easy but I usually cut the throat every time to let them bleed out a little better
Old 12-28-2003, 02:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

havne't been put in that situation yet, right now I say I'll shoot him again. I guess if it is the only way possible then maybe.
Old 12-28-2003, 06:57 AM
Fork Horn

trying to cut the animals throat is not the best way to do it it is easier and faster to stick them in the heart lung area i keep a knife in my truck and cars have had to kill 2 on the side of the road this way that have been hit by cars any sharp knife with a 3 inch blade will work

Quick Reply: would you cut a deers throat?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.