Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What's the toughest animal to hunt? >

What's the toughest animal to hunt?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What's the toughest animal to hunt?

Old 12-20-2003, 04:24 PM

Default What's the toughest animal to hunt?

Which big game species is the most difficult to hunt, is it the elk, whitetail, moose, or sheep, and what's your reason's? I hunted various animals for years and for me its a toss up between the elk and whitetail deer, what say you?

Dr. Mike
Old 12-20-2003, 04:39 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What's the toughest animal to hunt?

I think it has to be the sheep, particularly Stone or Dall. The terrain is a killer. You better be in top shape and have the best optics!
Old 12-20-2003, 05:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Even though I haven't hunted them yet I'd have to say that the mopuntain goat is the hardest animal by far to hunt. Sheep are hard and do live in similar terrain but you can find sheep a lot lower and in much less rugged country than the goats. Goats are in some of the most rugged and hard to get to terrain you will find anywhere.
I once read an article about thes very question and a few guides commented that most folks usually do not opt for a second mountain goat hunt no matter how successful.
Old 12-20-2003, 06:48 PM

Wolves. Harder than hell to hunt with a bow.
Old 12-20-2003, 07:45 PM

Well as far as hardest here in oregon I would have to say big horn sheep cause Oregon onlly gives out like 1-2 tags a year. Plus the terrain would be tough also. But for normal hunting tags I would say Cougar cause they are sneaky and smart. I have lived here all of my life and have only seen the tail of one running into some brush as I cam around a corner before the sun came up. And I only know of two that have been killed by people that I know. And we are supposed to have the highest population of them in my area of the state.
Old 12-20-2003, 07:47 PM

coyotes are very hard they can see and smell better then any i think
Old 12-20-2003, 07:48 PM

Coyotes, the eyes of a turkey and the nose of a deer, Very hard to get drawed back on one coming in to a call unless you gotta decoy to draw the attention away.
Old 12-21-2003, 02:33 PM
CG

Mule deer in an area with a mountain lion population.......good luck getting within 200 yards!!!!!

I would have to respectfully disagree on the coyotes (out west at least)......if you set up right (up wind, good cover, shooting lanes, etc.) they are relatively easy call in and to take with a bow (plus there are a BUNCH of them around here). My hunting partner and I kill 3 or 4 a year during archery mule deer season.
Old 12-22-2003, 01:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Antelope by far if you are not decoying or sitting at a water hole. All animals have there weeknesses though. Elk can be hard during the late season however it is very common to get shots at 10 yards during the rut. Mule deer in the rut can be slapped in the face if there are no does around. White tails will just about poke there nose into a bottle of doe urine. The key is knowing where the animals are and timimg it to your advantage.
Old 12-22-2003, 07:04 AM

Shoot a turkey with a trad bow off the ground ... thats tough !

From what I've read and seen, goats and sheep are not that tough to hunt. They are tough to get to, but not tough to hunt. Elk can be both. A mature whitetail is a tough critter to kill, especially on public lands.

Quick Reply: What's the toughest animal to hunt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.