Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Life or death in the woods, would you know what to do? >

Life or death in the woods, would you know what to do?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Life or death in the woods, would you know what to do?

Old 12-14-2003, 04:07 PM

Default Life or death in the woods, would you know what to do?

I heard a story a while back and it made me think, would you know what to do! This friend of mine was standing at an area, that he was to meet 3 guys that were to go deer hunting with him, this was an area that several people parked their cars and walked into the public hunting area to deer hunt. There were two older guys, standing by their car when one of the guys collapsed, my friend went over and had no clue what to do! How many of you would be able to help? How many of you know how to perform CPR, if they had to, and is it important to know CPR, and hunt in the woods? Any personal stories to share about using CPR in the woods, or not knowing what to do.

Dr. Mike
Old 12-14-2003, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Life or death in the woods, would you know what to do?

i agree hunters should know cpr especially during the one or two week gun season where hunters who arent use to the physical work and are out of shape get into trouble. it happens every year so im looking into a course but i did get certified in high school a million years ago
Old 12-14-2003, 04:52 PM

this is a really good topic. i am certified at cpr. i took a numerous amount of classes and each one re-certified me. i never had to use it and i hope that i would remember how....... i passed all of the certification tests, but still don't know if i really know how to use it.
Old 12-14-2003, 06:46 PM

Knowing CPR is important, knowing First Aid is 10 times as important. You are going to save a lot of folks with basic First Aid. You are going to save very few with CPR.

I, unfortunately, have been in the professional position of deciding that efforts at resuscitation were futile with victims in the woods. When you consider transport time out of the woods, how long it's going to take to get the help to transport, and how long the victim was already down.....most heart attack victims with no heart/lung function are going to die in the woods. Same with trauma victims with no life supporting function.

The most important thing to remember in a heart attack situation is to get Advanced Life Support assistance IMMEDIATELY. Even if it means leaving the victim to run for a phone. The sooner the victim gets PROPER airway assistance and diffibrillation the better. This means calling an ambulance PRONTO. If one bystander knows CPR and another can call, then by all means start CPR. The MOST important thing is getting professional help immediately.
Old 12-16-2003, 08:34 AM
voz
Fork Horn

My job requires me to take a CPR class every other year, but I end up taking it every year. I think I would know what to do, and I believe remembering wouldn't be a problem but man.........I hate the thought of ever having to do it. I don't think that using my first aid knowledge would both me, but CPR is very scary to me.....especially in an outdoor environment. I think the second worse thing that could ever happen to me would be administering CPR....the first would be having someone administering CPR on me.
Old 12-16-2003, 04:47 PM

..and with the crazy liberals out there even if you revive a guy but break a rib he might sue you. Isn't that about the saddest thing our society has slipped into, the folks who want to sue over everything.
Old 12-16-2003, 05:19 PM
Dominant Buck

YUP, the Army and Vietnam taught me first aid. I took a CPR class years ago put on by the Red Cross or the local Hospital or someone. Can't remember who. I guess if I can't remember that I should take a refresher. I'm smarter now though... when I took it the first time I wasn't aware they used rubber dummies. I thought I was going to push on some girls chest and play lip lock with some of the local hotties.[&o]