Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What kind of stand for young hunter? >

What kind of stand for young hunter?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What kind of stand for young hunter?

Old 12-13-2003, 09:10 PM

Default What kind of stand for young hunter?

Sorry guys/girls, i hate to post it again, but i'm in the market for either a climbing stand or a hanging stand. i am looking into getting into bowhunting but would also like to use the stand for gun hunting. i am only 15 and wiegh 130 so i dont need a deluxe model that has a weight capacity of 375 lbs. my budget is pretty low considering i dont have a job, but i would be willing to spend up to 150$ . i also dont want to sacrifice safety though. from the other posts ive read it sounds like API is not very reliable right now. but the stand that everyone is raving about is the Summit Viper XLS but it sounds expensive. i saw a Hunter's View "Gator" climbing stand at a local retailer on sale for 79.99, anyone heard about it? any input would be appreciated. but if you are tired of posting on ?'s like this than thats fine too. thnx for reading anyway good luck!
Old 12-14-2003, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What kind of stand for young hunter?

GB, if you are prepared to carry a 30-35 pound stand, plus your weapon, and a small pack for food water etc. then go ahead and get that stand. Think about this. Summit makes the Cobra XLS and it is only 17 pounds. It can be had for 200 bucks. You said you were willing to spend 150, right? If it were me, I'd mow a few yards just to get the extra 50 smackers!

The Cobra is an excellent stand to bowhunt from, it's 17 pounds, comes with a free "seat o the pants" safety harness, and climbs quietly, and gets a very firm grip so it doesn't slip or tilt.

The cheap stands are heavy and are not as comfortable.

One thing my dad taught me was to get the best I could, even if it meant putting off the purchase a little longer. The better product always outperforms and lasts longer than the cheap ones.
Old 12-14-2003, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Cobra and Viper are basically the same stand, with the only difference is the viper has a bar in front of the seat where the Cobra has an open front which makes it perfect for bowhunting
Old 12-14-2003, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

An excellent hang-on stand that I've used this season and then liked so much I ordered SEVERAL more is the Cabela's Trophy Lite XT. These stands are light weight, lock down rock solid, and are very quiet. Quick and easy to set up and they are very comfortable with a roomy platform and very comfortable seat heigth. They are available for $60 and $70 depending on which model. Spend the money on a couple of these as opposed to just 1 big and bulky stand. Take a serious look at 'em, you won't regret it.
Old 12-14-2003, 11:37 AM

GB,
A succesful bowhunter often has to be very maneuverable. This translates into a stand that is light. He also has to be comfortable. Comfort means a bigger platform,seat,etc, which is more weight. But comfort also means more time on stand which means more oppurtunities at deer. He also has to be safe. Most stands are relatively safe - Nobody wants to mfg an unsafe stand.But NEVER forget the safety belt!!

For these reasons, I like to find a stand that can hang quickly, Portable for sure, in the 11-14 lb range with a comfortable, fold-up seat-I spend a LOT of time standing , anfd shoot standing always. A fold up seat is a must for this so you can stand as close to the tree trunk as possible. If you look around you can usually find several that meet these criteria in the 50-75 dollar range.

North starr stands makes a Steel Starr. I bought several of these a couple years ago for 50 dollars each and I love them. Secure to tree quietly, quickly, very securely, and is very comfortable, with 300 lb capacity( I was thin at fifteen ,too, but that changes a lot of times!) Also , the stand only weighs around 11 lbs. Not bad when you have to carry a long way!

Just a tip, but in the average situation , you want to have at least three stands, if possible. I have about 10 portables, but I'm not very average!LOL

Good Luck!!
Old 12-14-2003, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Watch the classifieds at this site and at other sites you may visit. I have found some good deals on used equipment in the past off these boards. You can also check ebay, I have seen good deals on the Summit Vipers on there the past 6 months.
Old 12-15-2003, 05:59 PM

thnx guys this'll all help good luck on the rest of your seasons