Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 ALBIA - sad story!! >

ALBIA - sad story!!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

ALBIA - sad story!!

Old 12-12-2003, 08:57 PM

Default ALBIA - sad story!!

Hey everybody! I'm new, this is my first thread , but just a story you might can relate to - and maybe not.

I live in eastern Oklahoma. I worked at a place where my job was customer service for a huge industrial supply wholesaler. Anyways, one of my customers that I got to know well over the phone was a lady in Davenport, IA. Once she got to know me and that I loved to bowhunt, She told me her uncle had a farm on the outskirts of Albia, Ia and that she had talked to him and I could come up and bowhunt if I wanted to. She also said that he told her he had seen a giant buck a few times and that noone else really bowhunted the place. Of course , I'd have to apply for tags and such , which I didn't ever get around to. What could possibly be that great in Albia Iowa anyhow?? I'd never heard of the place. Anyhow,that was a couple years ago. Should I shoot myself now or later??

Also, does anyone agree with me that the Lovstuen buck looked better two years ago?? I don't get too picky when they are that big, I just thought it looked better then. Anyone agree?? - captain backstrap.
Old 12-12-2003, 11:06 PM

Default RE: ALBIA - sad story!!

I would agree, in my opinion, the deer looked better a couple years ago, but heck, when a deer breaks that 300" mark, I stop caring about looks
Old 12-13-2003, 08:32 AM

i wish i could be that selectice, i stop caring at about 200'',
Old 12-13-2003, 09:02 AM

I live in Iowa and I'm telling you we have big bucks in every county here.
Old 12-13-2003, 10:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you weren't so far away I'd go with you!

nubo
Old 12-13-2003, 06:20 PM
Typical Buck

Where can I get a look at this buck? Heck, I live in Iowa and haven't seen a picture of it. I've seen the pic of last years sheds and the artists painting, but what about how he looked when harvested.

BTW, just got back from the late shotgun season. Shot a small buck. Seen over a hundred deer. Deer where being driven. Lots of small bucks and does. Did see one Monster. NO ONE got a shot at him. Bunch of guys going back out tomorrow. I'm done. My first deer drive. Still like bowhunting better, but it was OK. Got some more venison so I should be able to last until next spring if I ration it out. Wife and kids want steaks or chops dang near once a week.
Old 12-13-2003, 09:34 PM

Believe it or not, there's a pic in this forum. I think on page 4 , but look for the topic that says "the real albia buck pic" There's a good picture there.

You'll notice the left side is nowhere near the way it looked in the live photos from 2 yrs ago, due to an injury. The boys dad supposedly grazed the bucks right shoulder with a slug 2 yrs ago. Left side has been messed up since then. Interestingly, 3 years ago the buck carried a rack with a gross typical frame of 212 and change. This year, it was "only" a 160 class typical frame, but had a lot more abnormal growth to make up the difference.

Any way you slice it, it's awesome!!
Old 12-15-2003, 04:06 PM
Fork Horn

you can find the stories in the jan. issues of north american whitetail, and iowa game and fish. both of these were mailed out to subscriber around dec. 5/6. i belive they will be on magazine racks in the next few days
Old 12-15-2003, 05:55 PM
Fork Horn

hey you Iowa boys what part of the state is albia in? I have some family that live near state center/ area
Old 12-16-2003, 07:54 AM

Here is a link to the thread started earlier with the albia buck pic.

[link]http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.asp?m=457991[/link]