Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Central Illinois Hunters >

Central Illinois Hunters

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Central Illinois Hunters

Old 12-08-2003, 09:38 PM
Typical Buck

Default Central Illinois Hunters

What do you all think of the public land around central Illinois?? I'm thinking specificaly of Horseshoe Lake. How's the hunting there? Also, how's the hunting in other public areas around Horseshoe lake? Any tips, advice, help would be appreciated.

thanks,
ben
Old 12-09-2003, 07:10 AM

Default RE: Central Illinois Hunters

I've heard good things from horseshoe lake--but ive never been there.
a good spot is around carlyle lake area. not a lot of other hunters to mess with( except duck hunters), but lots of area. we use a boat to get to our spots. Ive seen tons of deer.
Old 12-09-2003, 11:00 AM

are you from Illinois, I am looking to go somewhere to hunt next year but haven't made up my mind if I am going to go to Illinois, Nebraska, or Kansas. Give me advice if you have any
Old 12-09-2003, 11:02 AM
Typical Buck

I live in Illinois now, but have yet to hunt here. So I can't give any advice. Pay attention to the posts here maybe we'll pick up some info.

Illinois hunters (and RBBH) is Horseshor Lake area busy?
Old 12-09-2003, 11:16 AM

From what my friends tell me they go there a couple times a year. They told me its not too bad as far as pressure. The deeper you go the better. I would try to find out what the harvest number/number of hunters there. that would be a good start. Look for river bottoms with farm ground close, also- the harder to get in the better. Ive never hunted there but I do hit other areas just for a change of pace--or to let my stands sit for a weekend.

JMO
Old 12-09-2003, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Is Horseshoe fully public or is it like Pere Marquette and limit the number of hunters allowed on the land per week? I'm going to school at SIUE and might try some hunting at Horseshoe next year to cut down on having to go home every weekend to hunt.
Old 12-09-2003, 08:13 PM
Typical Buck

There are no regulations on numbers of hunters.
Old 12-10-2003, 12:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm from Illinois, never heard of Horseshoe lake. Where is it from Champaign?
Old 12-10-2003, 08:38 AM
Typical Buck

Don't know where from Champaign... Do you know where all the highways come out of St. Louis City (64,70,55,etc.)? Well if you were take 64 East into Illinois and then when you get to 255 go north. Then there's a half dozen signs for the lake you coulnd't miss it. I've been to champaign, like once, but wasn't the one driving. Can't remember where it's at right.

Mapquest says: 2 hours 46 mins to get to horseshoe...
Old 12-10-2003, 09:22 AM

In terms of central Illinois public hunting, don't overlook Lake Sangchris state park (between Springfield and Decatur). They have trophy-management areas where you have to kill a doe first and then to take a buck, it has to have at least 5 points on one side (there are a lot of nice 8s out there that no one can legally shoot). Also, the Jim Edgar Panther Creek wildlife area about 25 mi west of Springfield has 17000 acres of public hunting. Some great bucks have been coming out of there. Finally, a great new area in Brown, Adams county has opened in the past few years to resident bow hunters only- the Buckhorn Management Unit. You have to get a parking pass at Siloam Springs state park (5 mi away). They have 5 parking areas with (I think) 6 spots each. Thus, 30 hunters total for about 3000 acres per day. I know of a nice 11-pointer killed there this year.