Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Call Can / Doe Bleat >

Call Can / Doe Bleat

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Call Can / Doe Bleat

Old 12-10-2003, 12:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Call Can / Doe Bleat

I used the doe decoy and can setup during the chase phase this year and had deer walk by without even a glance. Probably due to my setup however.

I used the can another time on 2 large bucks tending one doe and both were interested yet neither wanted to leave the other buck alone with the one doe.

The doe decoy on the other hand has worked darn perfect this year (after the chase phase.) I had 2 big bucks on 2 different mornings come from upwind along the same trail to my decoy (and within 15ft of my blind) just from the visual. No calls and the scents were all down wind of the bucks.

Can couldn't hurt I guess but I haven't seen anything to make me buy another one.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:42 AM

I was hunting yesterday and had 2 deer not far from my stand. I used the can and nothing, the deer continued what they were doing. Also, I had a spike not far from my stand last week when I tried the can to see what he would do. All he did was stick his head up and look my way. He went right back to what he was doing. I will keep on trying it but I have not been successful yet.
Old 12-10-2003, 03:36 PM

i haven't had much success with it. Had one deer look up at me and than walk away, i guess i am not pretty enough for him... oh well i don't think he was my type anyway
Old 12-10-2003, 05:12 PM

There are several other messages/threads on this, but oh well. This year I tend to beleive that I drew in two bucks with it, although they were not shooters and came in no more than a minute or three after I used the can. They were cautious, but really came from nowhere.

Now last year was different. I had a doe come browsing in from my right. She was almost up to my tree, when she looked to her left, my right. I slowly looked over and about 40 yards out and behind me in some thick crap, I was reasonably sure I saw the tip of a few tines and legs, for sure...and it looked like a mature deer. Now what?? Well, she finally walked straight out in front of me and stopped behind a pine. I took the can out and tipped it two long ones and one short, then immediately followed with a short grunt or two. I was still tucking my call under my coat when over my "left" shoulder and behind me, I heard a branck break. SLowly turned around and there was a nice 10 point with the start of a few kicker points, and a palmated G2. He pawed the ground a little and rubbed around on a tree a little. Neither very aggressive. Finally he committed and walked directly under me and when he got past me, I took full draw because it looked like he might veer left which would have screwed everything up. I mouth grunted real quiet and he stopped, I let go and hit a tad bit high and he dropped in his tracks. I immediately put another one in him and he expired instantly. In a matter of a few seconds it was all over. I honestly beleive the can did the trick in this case. Now, if the doe (live decoy) wasn't there, it probably would not have unfolded like it did. It is just another tool. I use mine primarily during peak rut...11/7 - about 11/15.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great Story W&M
Old 12-12-2003, 01:15 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: whitetails & muskies

I honestly beleive the can did the trick in this case. Now, if the doe (live decoy) wasn't there, it probably would not have unfolded like it did. It is just another tool.
"Just another too" <- perfectly stated
Was it PT Barnum who said "You can fool all the people some of the time and some of the people all of the time but not all of the people all of the time"

Same for deer for sure. That grunt might turn a buck your way or send him into the thicket. It is part of the deer hunting game we all love. Would it be as fun and exciting if we knew what would happen everytime we went out?
Old 12-12-2003, 08:40 PM

For all you guys who haven't had any sucess with a bleat can - DON'T give up!! It's like anything else - it may not work 50 times in a row, but the first time it does, you'll be singing it's praises from then on!!! I have been bowhunting for 22 years and I can honestly say that if I had to choose between a bleat can and a grunt call, I'd have to have the can.My favorite is to use them together. However, I seldom use it unless I can actually see the deer and can use it in conjunction with what the deer is doing. If i'm in an area that I feel like a buck can see into, I'll hold it behind my back so it doesn't sound so close. Keeps bucks attention off my immediate area. Seems to be especially deadly on big bucks in conjunction with grunt call. In my experience, I would estimate positive reactions from deer I can see to be about 60%. Each deer is going to respond differently, and the same deer will respond differently at different times. The main thing is to use it wisely and don't give up!!!
Old 12-13-2003, 04:39 AM
Spike

I started reading that hunters are now blowing in the small hole instead of turning it over and getting better results.
Has anyone tried this?