HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Call Can / Doe Bleat (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/45629-call-can-doe-bleat.html)

lobi 12-08-2003 01:01 PM

Call Can / Doe Bleat

Who has had good success with the "doe in a can"? The tip over doe in heat bleat cans?

Is it best during the rut?
What sequence do you call with it? every 1/2 hr? one bleat? 3-4 bleats? time between bleats?
How about second rut? as effective then?
Mid-day? late evening? morning?

farmcntry 12-08-2003 01:16 PM

RE: Call Can / Doe Bleat

The "lil can" calls in little deer. I used it in early season and called in yearlings 3 times in a row.

Does this mean bigger cans call in bigger deer? Where's my milk-jug???:D

TheBuckeyeOutdoorsman 12-09-2003 12:15 AM

I used it quite a bit this fall and it worked sometimes and it didn't at other times. There were times bucks would totally ignore it and then a few times it pulled them closer to my area, but then they remained just out of range. I think a lot of that had to do with no decoy. I think if a buck can see below your tree and figure out that there is no doe there, then they aren't going to come closer? Really think cover might help in this scenario.

As for cadence, I usually did them back to back for a series of about 8 or 10 bleats. No more and no less.

Also, after you call, put it away and really focus. Sometimes a buck will just slip into your area and at times they are hard to detect.

I have not had any success calling in a buck during the late season.

TBO

ijimmy 12-09-2003 06:09 AM

I saw an 8 point step out about 100 yards from my stand this year and turn away from me walking slowly away . I hit the can once and he stoped and looked around . I hit it a second time a he headed straight for me . So for me thats proof , if I can turn a deer around and make him head for me its done its job .

Jeff K 12-09-2003 06:38 AM

I have had several bucks come in nose to the ground, but others just ignore it, and grunts too! I usually do three soft grunts, then flip the can overr 3 times for three bleats!

lobi 12-09-2003 09:12 AM

Buckeye, I agree, with no decoy you had better have some thick cover close to your treestand where the "doe" could be out of sight. The deer are mighty good at pinpointing where the sound came from be it a can, grunt or rattle.

Wow 8-10 times seems like a lot of calling, but then I never watched a real doe in heat making this call so I don't know how much or often they might do it.

Any other successes in calling in a buck with a can call? How many times and how often did you use it to be effective?

DaveH 12-09-2003 02:01 PM

After reading so many positve reviews about the can--like the ones above--I bought one last year. I have had absolutely no luck with it whatsoever. The most any deer has done was to look my way, but none have approached. Both of my other calls brought in deer--one resulted in a kill and one should've--except for that %$@#* branch!

gottohunt2 12-09-2003 05:04 PM

[&o]i used it this year for the frist time did nothing and that was the frist two weeks in nov.

mikej92280 12-09-2003 05:21 PM

I swear by it. Never enter the woods without it. For those who think it doesnt help.....Well it sure dont hurt.Thats a true story

fuzzjocky2 12-09-2003 06:02 PM

i have used the lil can this year with out any luck but the kid i hunt with has had some luck turning deer the rut has seemed awful soft this year in my areas that i hunt that could have some thing to do with my results. The only bad thing with my can is that i can't keep it quite while climbing