Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

shooting dogs

Old 12-02-2003, 09:54 PM

Default shooting dogs

[:@] alright guys, i need to vent a little. I am a veterinarian IL. I am also an avid bow hunter. BUT, i am getting sick and tired of getting called in the middle of the night to work on somebodys dog that has been shot by a deer hunter. Fortunately, 2 of them have recovered, but we lost a cconhound last week after about 3 hrs of reconstructive surgery. Yeah, I would be pissed if a dog came thru running deer where i hunted too, but why kill somebodys pet or hunting dog?!?! what gives you the right?? just because you might have paid big bicks to hunt doesnt mean you own the place. The CPO came into the clinic last week with a beagle that he found laying dead next to the deer hanging in camp, like it was on display. not only is killing someones dog wrong, but it makes us all look like a bunch of idiots and gives the antis more fuel. i know the people doing this are just a handful of bad eggs, but it is happeneing too often. all right, i feel better now. any comments??
Old 12-02-2003, 10:12 PM

Default RE: shooting dogs

I agree. I hunt deer, and dogs runthrough sometimes. I get over it. This is a time when more dogs are out in the woods, too because of hunting season. Don't shoot someone's dog, guys. You'll make every hunter look like an indiot.
Old 12-02-2003, 10:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sure I have some comments but it's 11pm at night, I'm tired, I've made this arguement 100 times before, and it's not going to do any good. So it's hard to get me to spend the next 30 mins. of my life replying.

I'll give a short reply....
Yeah, I would be pissed if a dog came thru running deer where i hunted too, but why kill somebodys pet or hunting dog?!?! what gives you the right?? just because you might have paid big bicks to hunt doesnt mean you own the place.
Yes I get ticked too, and more ticked when the dog shows up time after time with all his buddies and comes by chasing deer. What gives me the right? I have the right because it's private property and someone does not give a $@#& about their dog because if they did, they'd keep it at their house. Oh and yes I do OWN the place. Being a vet, it shouldn't be hard for you to imagine what the effects of one, two, or a pack of healthy dogs chasing deer can have on a deer herd. I have researched this extensivly and according to many DNR and college studies domestic dogs are one (if not the biggest) determinant to the health of the deer herd in many many places. There is absolutly nothing harmless about a dog running thru the woods looking for deer to chase. The thing you don't see in your clinic is all the wounded deer and dead fawns that those dogs ran down.

I have a dog and I love her to death. I have no doubt that if I let her run free she would get in my neighbors trash, chase their cows and troll the woods looking for deer to chase. Therefore I have an underground radio shock fence to keep her on MY property where she belongs. I figure if people really loved their dogs and respected MY property they would do the same.

Sorry for my adittude but I've been down this road on this board many times in the past. Some people get very passionate about the fact that no domestic dog should be shot. In my humble opinion those people are not rational, logical, nor do they care about the health of the entire deer herd.
Old 12-02-2003, 10:32 PM
Typical Buck

So you Shoot little billys dog Tex...what have you gained?Dogs get out, dogs break thier chains, The baby accidently opened the door and boomer got out...thats your excuse for shooting a pet?

Dont shoot somebodys pet! Come on man! Screw the God#@##m deer.
Old 12-02-2003, 11:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rico, first off, I am not talking about shooting a dog that just happens to be 50 yrds across a property line. I'm talking about a dog that is a mile from the nearest house. I'm also not talking about shooting a dog the first time I see it is not chasing a deer. I am talking about repeat offenders, over and over. The owners don't care what what the dogs do all day, who they terrorize, or what other animals the dogs chase down and kill. It's amazing to me how someone can claim the "love their dog" so much but not love it enough to keep it at home. Do they let their kids run free day and night and go anywhere they please, I would hope not. So why let their dogs do that? In all honesty the dogs get into a whole lot more trouble than the kids would.lol

Screw the God#@##m deer.
Rico, I'm sorry, I'm a hunter. I enjoy wildlife and the deer and I will NOT stand by and let Rover run down, kill, maime, wound, run off, and harm the health of an ENTIRE deer herd. Again, if you don't believe this is a serious problem do some research on the web. I've done tons of it and the facts are scary. Again, 99.9% of the dogs we are talking about here aren't a case of Fido getting lose one time, these are cases of the owners just not caring enough to keep their dogs on their property. Plain and simple.
Old 12-03-2003, 12:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

alright Tex, dogs are animals too, just like coyotes chasing is a natural instinct. I'm not gonna shoot your dog if he chases a deer past me and other people expect the same. If it's that big of a deal to you, maybe you should check your priorities.
Old 12-03-2003, 01:08 AM

any comments??
Yep. Control your animals. I have two dogs. One is 8 years old, the other is 5. They have NEVER escaped or left my property in their entire lives expect when accompanied by one of our three kids or my wife and I. It is not that hard to make a yard or an enclosure excape proof, but number 1 is to not give the dog a reason to want to leave.

Loose dogs are an epidemic in my area. They have mortally wounded other pets, destroyed livestock, got into well stored trash, and harassed the kids at the bus stop. I hunt less than 200 yards from our neighborhood to give you an idea how rural this is. Most of those dogs have been destroyed over the years and the message got out about controlling your pets.

My son is 7. He understands the grave consequences of our dogs getting loose. He watched my neighbor's prize dog get smashed by a car a couple months ago BECAUSE THE NEIGHBOR REFUSED TO CONTROL THE ANIMAL. I had a long talk with him about what happens when dogs get loose and trespass. He understands that a loose dog that gets killed is not the end of the world and if he wants his dogs to live he WILL control them.
Old 12-03-2003, 01:13 AM

alright Tex, dogs are animals too, just like coyotes chasing is a natural instinct.
A well trained and cared for dog will not chase. My two dogs are Australian shepherds and chasing is their job. However, they do not, and will not chase until given the command to get to work.

Dogs that chase are a nuisance and a danger. Have a 100 lb dog chase your kid on his bike and nock him down. See how understanding you are then.
Old 12-03-2003, 02:29 AM

My only question is what is the best broadhead to use. Expandable or Fixed Blade? Quartering away or Quartering to?

Anybody know the anatomy of a dog? dogdr.....you know, huh.
Old 12-03-2003, 06:18 AM

IMHO if owners cared for their dogs they would not be roaming free. I live in Mississippi were hunting with dogs is legal during deer season. I've caught guys parked on the road running dogs on our property waiting for the dogs to run the deer to them so they can shoot them on the road! We also have wild dogs packed up terrorizing everything in their path, I have even been chased up a tree before. These dogs are more dangerous than a pack a coyotes because they are not afraid of humans! What happens if nothing is done about it, I tell you what will happen people will get hurt or killed! If you don't be believe me read this article!

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/Central/1....ap/index.html

The woman killed was going out to her barn to feed her horses. These dogs have been terrorizing this rural area for months and the animal control and the owner would not do anything about it. I have a couple of labs and you can bet during hunting season they are up all the time. I have no sympathy for a owner whos dog is running free terroizing the deer and people. The problem lies with the owner not the dog!!!! I hope the owner of these dogs that killed the woman in Denver gets the book thrown at her and spends many years in jail.

Quick Reply: shooting dogs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.