Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

kansas rut

Old 12-01-2003, 07:35 AM

Default kansas rut

Is it just me or did the rut seem kinda weird. I have seen bucks chasing does on the morning then a group of big bucks in the afternoon together. All the bucks are swollen up and appear " stupid" but its not the typical rut activity I have seen in the past. Any one else from Ks having the same opinion. What is the rut status where your at? thanks for all.....................Mitch
Old 12-01-2003, 07:52 AM
TWC

Default RE: kansas rut

I think we are just about to the end of the rut, here in Phillips County. I don' t know, seemed kind of typical to me. Although I didn' t get to hunt much this past month, I did manage to tag my buck during the pre-rut. I think back, and maybe I cheated myself. I could have let this buck walk, kept on huntin in hopes of seeing the true rut activities. But hindsight is 20/20. With taking this buck, next year I can focus on stalking the bigger buck I had seen earlier in the season. He' s an old feller, and I can tell he' s been around the woods a time or two. Should make for a pretty good challenge next year.
Old 12-01-2003, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt on the family farm in Cloud Cty. Ks. and I was back 3 times,. once last week of Oct., then the 2nd weekend of Nov. and then Thanksgiving and the rut looks to be very typical in that area, still going on now. We saw two large bucks with does this last weekend and most little bucks seem to be by themsleves or with a few young does. I tagged my third doe this last trip and passed up 11 small bucks, but no Mr. Big got within range this year. I saw a total of 6 P&Y deer this season. Prospects look good for next year, just hope that the rifle hunters don' t get them all.
Old 12-01-2003, 09:15 AM

The Ohio rut seemed to be relatively typical. There were a lot of young bucks cruising and chasing early and then I saw 2 good mature bucks on 11/17/03. Most of the breeding here in Ohio typically occurs between 11/10 - 11/20 so it was right on track here I would say. I am not a biologist or an expert, but my observations seemed to indicate the rut here was typical.

TBO