Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do you gun hunt also? >

Do you gun hunt also?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you gun hunt also?

Old 11-30-2003, 08:13 AM
dpv
Typical Buck

Default Do you gun hunt also?

How many of you gun hunt or black powder hunt also? I know many of you do not but I havn' t been able to get a good idea of how many of you do. I love the solitude of bow hunting. There are just so many people in the woods when it' s gun season. Sometimes it' s hard for me to find a spot where I don' t have people on my hunt all day long. But when I trek far enough from everyone else it' s worth it. Yesterday I purposely set up at the edge of an area I knew would be crawling with people. I wanted to take a deer and calculated that my best bet would be to set up my tree stand over a draw at the edge of a deer drive. I was right. I left my car at 615. was set up in my tree just before 7 am. Around 8-830 I shot a nice button buck that was being pushed thru the draw(yesterday was a Doe day). By 9 am I had him gutted and was dragging him out. It was a productive hunt...and enjoyable hunt....but different. There was an excitement to it, but it was very different than bowhunting when my excitement is overwhelmed by the need to be absolutely still and quiet. You all already know the diferences, I' m just wondering how many of you enjoy gun season as well.

here' s the button I took
http://www.hunt101.com/img/075311.jpg

David
Old 11-30-2003, 08:29 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Do you gun hunt also?

Rifle season here is a big 9 day holiday and our archery season closes down a few days before start and then openes up for December. It seems to be a time old friends can get together once a year and the hunting is a big bonus.
Yes I rifle and blackpowder hunt.
Old 11-30-2003, 08:39 AM

ofcourse
Old 11-30-2003, 08:43 AM

I bow hunt only!

You have to be stealth to bow hunt and harvest. Taking a deer 300 yards away isn' t hunting to me. The thrill that I brought them in to 20 yards to take the shot, has a tradition behind it. It is true hunting.
Old 11-30-2003, 08:51 AM
Fork Horn

Taking a deer 300 yards away isn' t hunting to me.
Maybe in Texas but a 300 yard shot tn the thick woods and swamps of northern Wisconsin isn' t likely. They better be well under 50 yards where I am at or you are just going to be harvesting trees.
Old 11-30-2003, 09:22 AM

I gun hunt (shotgun only is all we can do in NJ) during shotgun season. I like the extra distance I can get, but most shots are 50 yards or less. I will take my bow out on occasion during gun season, but when it gets too cold to draw the bow, the shotgun comes out.

I would like to get a muzzle loader, but I only pick up an additional 5-6 days of hunting. I don' t see the value in spending the money on the smoke pole for 5-6 additional days of hunting.
Old 11-30-2003, 09:27 AM
Fork Horn

I' ve been gunhunting longer than bow hunting and they both are very dear to me.
Old 11-30-2003, 11:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have been hunting with my shotgun for about 15 years and hunting with my bow for the last 3 years. I still enjoy hunting with the gun, but would much rather be out with my bow. I think its becouse of the fact that bow season here is 3 months long and my gun season is only for a couple of weeks. Its just really cool to be out when the weather is nice, not to mention all of the different critters you see. In my opinion, the more time you can spend in the woods, the better.
Old 11-30-2003, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

What' s a gun? Does this answer the question?
Old 11-30-2003, 11:57 AM

I have been shotgun hunting way longer than bow hunting

Quick Reply: Do you gun hunt also?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.