Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Are pro hunters really any better than you? >

Are pro hunters really any better than you?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Are pro hunters really any better than you?

Old 11-29-2003, 04:03 PM

Default Are pro hunters really any better than you?

I once had this conversation with some hunting buddies.

Are professional hunters really any better hunters than you? What makes a professional hunter any better? Remember, they hunt on primo locations, many times on private ranches/land where bucks are grown using the best feed engineers can design, they get the best equipment free from sponsors, they travel the world on their sponsor' s ticket. Don' t forget editing!

If you had all of this, would you also seem legendary? Would you be legendary?
Old 11-29-2003, 04:11 PM

Default RE: Are pro hunters really any better than you?

i really dont believe in a " pro" hunter, there' s amature,avid, and veteran or w/e, if im wrong what makes a " pro" hunter, if i were legendary i' d want it to be completly fair chase, no pinned in deer, a deer management area would be fine but no fences
Old 11-29-2003, 04:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Even being set up in the primo locations and all the resources they have available to them, I have the utmost respect for them. They really know their stuff and are true marksmen (from what I' ve seen anyway). They have something most of us do not and that' s experience. They hunt everyday of their lives and have seen and learned a lot more just from being in the woods than I have anyway. You could make the argument that it' s easy to be set up on some ranch where they breed these buck machines and it' s only a matter of time. But I still think they have wisdom beyond their years and are great hunters. I' d like to go with them sometime and find out though.
Old 11-29-2003, 04:53 PM
Typical Buck

I believe most of them are serious hunters. Serious meaning they start hunting in September and finish sometime in February. Michael Waddel once said that he had gotten up around 4:00 AM to get to his location before light, then stayed in his tree until after dark. About 14 hours a day and he did this 17, yep 17 days in a row![] On one hunting trip to get a trophy class whitetail. Now thats serious! Pretty soon it stops being fun and more like a job.[X(] The wife let me go dawn to dusk for a full week but 17 days would find me in divorace court.
Old 11-29-2003, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I truely respect these guys for lots of reasons. Ya know we go out and if we don' t kill stuff, there is another day and we are disappointed. If these guys go out and are unsuccessful, they get " fired." I agree with rcd567 they are serious
Old 11-29-2003, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think most of these guys really have some serious hunting experience and are exceptional hunters. Meaning, they spend a boat load of time in the field year after year and just flat out know how to hunt whitetail. Let' s look at Mitch Rompola for example. Not a celebrity, but a great deer hunter. There was rumors of a trophy class buck running around Clare County on state land (where my hunting property is), which is more than an hour from Rompola' s neck of the woods. He went down there and had this buck in his truck in a day and a half. Guys like this are just that good. However, let me say this - I am in the advertising/marketing industry so I have first hand knowledge of what it takes to sell products to people and believe me, there is quite a bit of this going on out there with product sponsorships, prime hunting lots to promote products, and on and on. I' m not saying all of it is false advertising, but come on, P&Y buck after buck all day long every time you turn on the Outdoor Channel? Guys passing on " the little 3 year old 10 pt.' s? These places have been groomed and managed to grow bick bucks for a couple of main reasons: provide entertainment to the hunting community, and to sell products. Our chance on a place like this? Good. Very good. JMO.
Old 11-29-2003, 06:42 PM
Dominant Buck

I really think it depends on WHO you' re calling a PRO Hunter. If you' re calling Jackie Bushwhacker, Bill Jordan and the TV stars PROS... I say NO. I can hunt with them any day and keep up. IF you' re talking a Chuck Adams or someone like that... they probably are a tad ahead of the crowd.[:-]
Old 11-29-2003, 07:42 PM

I will not sit here and say that they are pro hunters. They hunt on ranches that me and you cant even afford to go on and take a cull buck. One thing they are though is very good marksmen. Some of the shots these guys make are unreal. Of course their is some editing done but I dont think there is to much editing done in that area of the hunt. Could I go to the milk river and take a 170 class buck with my rifle. Sure I can. Can I afford it. No I can' t.JMO
Old 11-29-2003, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I feel I could hang with just about any of the guys you see on the outdoor channel. They are good hunters that put in the time and know their stuff…but they get to do it in the best hunting places around. I don’t feel that just anyone could be popped in their place and do the same, but there are a few guys around here who definitely could. You need 2 things to get tv shows, you have to be good AND hunt good places. A little business sense and marketing don’t hurt.
Old 11-29-2003, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jackie Bushwhacker,
That guy is a JOKE[&:]

Quick Reply: Are pro hunters really any better than you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.