Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hope he survived >

Hope he survived

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hope he survived

Old 11-25-2003, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hope he survived

The last day of archery here in Pa, a freind of mine was with us on an archery hunt. We decided to do a small push , to try to get the deer moving from the major bedding area on our farm. The deer werent moving well due to the extreme warmth. When my dad broke over the hill , i began to hear deer moving my way , i looked up and saw nothing but rack standing 70 yards away in the open. then he was occumpanied by a small spiker , and some does. They rapped the hill and got back behind my dad. I called him on the radio , and told him to go back up around and bring back the corner they ran to. 5 minutes later all i saw was an enormous rack coming down across the field my way. I drew , grunted at him twice with my mouth , and he slowed to a fast walk. I let fly at about 30 yards , and shot about 2 inches low. The buck then went down behind me and ran up behind the barn into a small thicket with the other deer. We re organized , and set up in a line and my dad pushed the thicket. The deer all ran out , and stopped 40 yard from my cousin , who at full draw jsut didnt have the right shot, the spiker busted him , and the deer ran my way. About 30 yards from me , they cut back down tot eh creek , and across into the small wood lot my freind was in, i saw him draw , the monster stopped , and i watched his fletching burry into the animal. they took off up the hillside and behind the houses. the hit was poor , actually the deer was slightly cordering uphill and to him , and he pulled the shot hittin the buck in the right back leg. the arrow was completely down to the fletching. he bled like a stuck pig for about 100 yards , then we began to find small clots of blood . we foudn the top half ot the broken off arrow, and the deer then stopped bleeding about 200 yards from the hit. Someone called on the radio to inform us that he indeed saw the big buck walking across the field with the other deer , and disappear into the thick on the other side. The next morning we went and looked for about 6 hours , and found nothing , not a hide nor hair. Do any of you think this buck will still be running the farm come dec.1st opening day of rifle here in PA? sorry for the long post.
Old 11-25-2003, 11:20 AM

Default RE: Hope he survived

If I were that deer I' d jump in front of a car. Sorry to say but that dosn' t sound like bowhunting to me[:@].
Old 11-25-2003, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

there is no difference between pushing deer with a gun or a bow, the shot was ligit, the deer was stopped , jsut an error on the shot itself, they happen everyday of the season. But everyone does things different. That is the only day of the season we ever push deer with bows. but come rifle ,with this warm weather , its how they get moving.
Old 11-25-2003, 12:05 PM

I know that this is common practice durring firearm season but my take was this deer got stuck with two marginal shots.
he slowed to a fast walk
I' m not trying to cut on you but I personally don' t let it fly unless I' m 100%. A deer at a fast walk is a no no for for this bowhunter!
he pulled the shot hittin the buck in the right back leg
If I were this deer who was stuck twice I sure wouldn' t be back. I hope for your sake he returns so you can tag this buck and put him out of his misery! This is just not my style of bowhunting![:' (]
Old 11-25-2003, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

No he wasnt stuck twice , i missed the deer . But normally without yardage judgement problems , i woudla nailed him . That is y i took the shot , the only hit on the deer was the one my friend pulled , and i def. gave him an earful. But its one of those things that we regret and can only hope go better next time.
Old 11-25-2003, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DoubleLung55

I called him on the radio , and told him to go back up around and bring back the corner they ran to.
Not sure if you are aware but this is illegal.

Page 17 of the PA hunting digest :

3. Portable, two-way radios and cell phones may be used for general
communications with another hunter, but may not be used to direct
or alert another hunter of the presence or location of live game or
wildlife. The use of electronic communications devices to alert
hunters to live game or wildlife is not only a violation of the Game &
Wildlife Code, but violates the definition of Fair Chase.
Old 11-25-2003, 02:47 PM

there is no difference between pushing deer with a gun or bow
Really !!

But normally without yardage judgement problems , i woudla nailed him .
Sounds like a difference to me !!

Old 11-25-2003, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

CBM, you still have as much trouble hittin a deer with a gun , if u dont know the yardage.

JeramyK , I was actually unaware of that , guess ill have to turn off the radio until needed.
Old 11-25-2003, 03:01 PM
Fork Horn

Ladies and Gentlemen, please allow me to introduce to you the latest poster child for the ANTI HUNTING BUNNY HUGGER ASSOCIATION.........Mr. Doublelung.

Illegal, unethical, immoral, absurd. Is there a raspberry award on this board?
Old 11-25-2003, 03:02 PM

I let fly at about 30 yards , and shot about 2 inches low.
Yeh.......I usually have a lot of trouble with my rifle at 30 yrds !! And that is why I took up bowhunting !!

Quick Reply: Hope he survived

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.