HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hope he survived
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2003, 11:10 AM
DoubleLung55
Nontypical Buck

Default Hope he survived

The last day of archery here in Pa, a freind of mine was with us on an archery hunt. We decided to do a small push , to try to get the deer moving from the major bedding area on our farm. The deer werent moving well due to the extreme warmth. When my dad broke over the hill , i began to hear deer moving my way , i looked up and saw nothing but rack standing 70 yards away in the open. then he was occumpanied by a small spiker , and some does. They rapped the hill and got back behind my dad. I called him on the radio , and told him to go back up around and bring back the corner they ran to. 5 minutes later all i saw was an enormous rack coming down across the field my way. I drew , grunted at him twice with my mouth , and he slowed to a fast walk. I let fly at about 30 yards , and shot about 2 inches low. The buck then went down behind me and ran up behind the barn into a small thicket with the other deer. We re organized , and set up in a line and my dad pushed the thicket. The deer all ran out , and stopped 40 yard from my cousin , who at full draw jsut didnt have the right shot, the spiker busted him , and the deer ran my way. About 30 yards from me , they cut back down tot eh creek , and across into the small wood lot my freind was in, i saw him draw , the monster stopped , and i watched his fletching burry into the animal. they took off up the hillside and behind the houses. the hit was poor , actually the deer was slightly cordering uphill and to him , and he pulled the shot hittin the buck in the right back leg. the arrow was completely down to the fletching. he bled like a stuck pig for about 100 yards , then we began to find small clots of blood . we foudn the top half ot the broken off arrow, and the deer then stopped bleeding about 200 yards from the hit. Someone called on the radio to inform us that he indeed saw the big buck walking across the field with the other deer , and disappear into the thick on the other side. The next morning we went and looked for about 6 hours , and found nothing , not a hide nor hair. Do any of you think this buck will still be running the farm come dec.1st opening day of rifle here in PA? sorry for the long post.