Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Scored on a pre-shot deer....pics.... >

Scored on a pre-shot deer....pics....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scored on a pre-shot deer....pics....

Old 11-23-2003, 02:59 PM
Typical Buck

Default Scored on a pre-shot deer....pics....

Ok, here is the story.

I have hunted quite a bit durring Northern Virginias early doe season. I scouted just as much, giving up days of hunting to look over areas I have not been in in several years on Ft. Belvoir Army Base where I do most all my hunting (Archery Only Base). After taken a antlerless deer back in the begining of Oct. I focused on trying to put some buddies coming up from Georgia on a decent buck. Well my boss who had not bowhunted in a few years but practiced with me often went out the third week of Oct. He sat just where I told him to and he scored on 2 deer. I was 50 yards away and go to witness both shots. Then My buddies came in the first week of Nov. Just prior to the rut here. I placed them in trees that I had seen two good bucks around and passed on anywhere from 9 to 13 does everytime I sat there. Well one of the guys,Lee is the wildlife Biologist at an Army Base in Ga. the other guy Joel is the Fisheries Bilogist there. Lee scored on a heavy horned nice 6 pionter. See pic.Lee is in the cammies.

Then I took Joel to another part of the same area and a few days later he shoots a nice (real nice) buck but can' t find it, called a guy from MD to come down with his dog, he did but 1 min after the dog is out of the truck the rain came down like mad. Never found the deer, Joel was just sick, I looked the following day but no deer. They left and went back to Ga a couple days later. Now the rut is starting to pick up around the 10th of Nov. I had the entire week of the 11th off. My plan was to go into the first area,where the 6 was taken from, and hunt hard with all those does it would just be a matter of time... or so I thought. The area was closed the entire week for training. I scambled to find a shooter in another area. I went to an area where a friend of mine and fellow board member had seen a decent buck last year that no one took. I hunted several areas that week but no good bucks. Wed of that week brought tremendous rain with Thurs. bringing 45 mile an hour gusts of wind. I used that Thus to hang a stand, hunted it Sat. am and found no deer passing me , This is the last day of my vacation and NO DEER. We, my boss and fellow board member were deciding to go to another area that afternoon,but I could not decide where I wanted to go, we agreed with some reluctance to go back to that same area, where no deer were seen that AM but to a different part of that area. Well 10 mins before dark on the last day of my so-called vacation I scored on this buck.November 15th.
He came down to a creek bottom I was hunting, started to cross the creek in some saplings and then smelled some scent I put out, he then turned and came back up the creek bank, he walked a semi-circle around me and stoped in a window I had to shoot through, I shot, he ran across the creek and stopped and started to walk down the creek, I am thinking ... I missed him... he walked about ten yards and then fell and flipped over about 3 times rolling down towards the creek, No more movement, slience... he was down, dead forty yards away. We recovered the arrow and then the deer, never followed a blood trail as he was in sight. Double lung shot at 16 yards. I came home and hung him up.
Sunday I caped him out and removed all the meat, Dropped off the head and cape at the Taxidermist on Monday AM.
That eve I started to cut up the carcass to throw away, thats when I noticed something odd. It looked like a piece of metal near its spine. It was It was a piece of arrow, not a carbon of course. I tried to pull it out but it would not budge. I picked up the remainder of the hide, No scars on the outside, nor any visual scars on the inside of the hide either....... I tried to follow the arrow, or the piece of arrow and found it was lodged in the top of a rib bone, I cut it out, the rib bone, and kept it. I boiled the piece of bone and scraped the flesh away.
It appears that some one hit this deer before, atleast last year if not before. There was no scars on the cape, inside or out nor any blemish in the meat. I found that this deer was hit high, just above the spine, at a downward angle, It went through the deers left back strap (no indication on the meat) and split down in one of the rib bones where the rib connects with the spine, It had completely fused back together, the bone has tissue attached and the bone matter had repaired intself around the broadhead. As you can see there was a total of about 2.5 inches of arrow still attacted. See it is not much wider than a standard coffee cup. Upon closer exam it was a 3 bladed Camo Muzzy 100, It can clearly be read on the broad head furrell, Cant see it from the pic but it is there. Here is another pic that is the top side of the rib, When first cleaned the only thing of the broad head that was visible was the outer edges of the 2 blades of the head, the third blade appears to have broken, Here is the last photo

This photo shows where the arrow entered the rib bone, Right at the spine. I am still in the process of cleaning it up, I will keep it with my mount when I get it back, as to remind me of the hunt . I also find myself wondering when It was hit, by whom, how big was he then? how long did someone spend looking for him, knowing that they actually hit him. It is intresting.How long would it take to heal up like it did, No scars, no signs ,other than that the arrow and broadhead.
Old 11-23-2003, 03:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Scored on a pre-shot deer....pics....

Great story Ben and congratulations, sound like you been doing a lot of work to help others score. Sure would like to see the pics but all there is a red x. I right click on it and click show picture but it doesn' t show.
Old 11-23-2003, 03:51 PM
Typical Buck

They are showing up as pics on my screen, Hmmmmm ??????

You can always right click on the red box and paste it into your adress bar and it will take you to the pic..
Old 11-23-2003, 03:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

good story but unfortunately I am not getting the pics as well.
Old 11-23-2003, 04:07 PM
Typical Buck

I think I fixed it, no, No I did not fix it, any advice? Mods any help?
Old 11-23-2003, 04:53 PM
Fork Horn

Ben, you are seeing them because they came off your computer...................we can' t see a thing.
Old 11-23-2003, 04:58 PM
Typical Buck

Ok, Looks as if I fixed it now, I hope? You guys seeing them now?
Old 11-23-2003, 05:02 PM
Fork Horn

Yes........they are visable now...........thanks.

It' s pretty amazing how that arrow went into the rib bone and stopped.

Nice deer!
Old 11-23-2003, 05:03 PM

I' m getting all the pics.

Beauty buck. Nice long tines. You earned it by helping your buddies.
A friend just caped one out and found a piece of old arrow in it too. They can be tough.
Old 11-23-2003, 05:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

They are working for me, Great looking deer!

Quick Reply: Scored on a pre-shot deer....pics....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.