Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What do you guys think my >

What do you guys think my

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What do you guys think my

Old 11-22-2003, 08:25 PM

Default What do you guys think my

Prob. is? I know to be good with your bow you must practice practice and practice. But its seems I can hit the target when I am just practicing but I have missed 2 big 8 pts cause of...........well I dont' know why. I shot under them is all I know. I am using 2 pins (15yard and 25yard) Ppl are telling me to just use one. Other than taking a pin away what else canhlep me. I am 100% gun hunter but I went bow hunting and 4 bucks 5 doe got within 10 feet of me and with my gun I would have blasted one of them, but with my bow it was more challenging, I couldn' t move to shoot cause they would get scared off, and I just was happy to watch them, I never did get a shot but I wasn' t mad I just wish I could get to be leathal with my bow. Is it the arrows I shoot the Wal Mart bought Carbon Arrows, which seem fine to me but like I said I am new to the bow hunting world. I am not new to the spend more $$$ to get the best thing that works when you can spend less and get just as good but with bow hunting does the more $$$ thing matter? What about the bow I am shooting, its set on 80 pounds which is easy for me to pull back, its a Grizzley II.
Old 11-22-2003, 08:33 PM

Default RE: What do you guys think my

Sounds like buck fever my friend. May not know it, but you may allready have that deer in the bed of your truck before you shoot, causing you to miss. Maybe not, maybe your arrows arent tuned, or your bows not tuned, or the pins are causing you to misjudge. It could be anything. But, my buddy missed 3 before he finally went with me to a spot i had and he got a small 10 point at 8 yards. Once you get the first under your belt, it becomes " easier" . (i say that lightheartedly). But, for all you know, your subconcious is just playin games with you. Keep at it, you' ll connect.
Old 11-22-2003, 08:46 PM

Arrows tuned, bow tuned? Never done that what ever it is. I just bought the bow used from a friend, bought some arrows that were the right lenght, then set my pins. Man this is a lot LOL
Old 11-22-2003, 09:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Are you practicing from the ground or from a tree stand. Things change once your feet leave the ground.
Old 11-22-2003, 09:12 PM

Stick with it, it will happen
Old 11-22-2003, 09:22 PM
nub

Arrows tuned, bow tuned? Never done that what ever it is. I just bought the bow used from a friend, bought some arrows that were the right lenght, then set my pins. Man this is a lot LOL
I suggest you go here http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tt.asp?appid=19 and click on " display topics from last 365 days" . Don' t stop reading til your done with page 82. [] Then if you still have any questions, just ask.[:-]
Old 11-22-2003, 10:09 PM

XXX, you say you shoot dead on during practice? What kind of shot groups do you have at the 15 & 25 yards? If you are dead on and the arrows are all parallel sticking out of the target, your bow and arrows shouldn’t be the problem.

How good are you at judging distances? When you miss the deer, are you missing high and low, or right and left? I would guess if you are missing high and low it’s a distance thing. If you are missing left and right it could be the “fever” mentioned in an earlier post.

Good luck and stick with it! This place is great for getting sound advice for people who have tons of experience!!!!
Old 11-22-2003, 11:13 PM

I can hit the target when I am just practicing
Are you practicing with broadheads or just field points? Broadheads usually shoot differently than fieldpoints. That' s where the " tuning" part comes in.
Old 11-22-2003, 11:35 PM

Well lets see. When I am practicing most of the time my arrows hit right around a 3-4 inch circle around the bullseye. Occasionally 1 or 2 will hit really high or really low. I am practicing with (not sure the what the name of them are but not the points that I use to hunt with that have the blades, but when I practice I use the little points) sorry, like I said I am new to this whole thing. Distance judging is a BIG prob. with me. 30 yards looks really far in practice but looking at a deer I am thinking thats way too far to be shooting and then afterwards I walk it off and it only ends up being around 22 yards [:' (] As far as missing left or right the answer is no to that, just high and low every once in a while. I think its the type of points I am using, 2 out of 3 are the same, the odd ball is the one that usually hits really high or low. Also, if I am shooting the " blades" in hunting, and the points in practice.........don' t they fly different, why wouldn' t I want to practice with just the points? My arrows are sticking straight out of the target when I shoot. The thing is at 30 yards I hit the little half dollar size bulls eye everytime.........well most of the time. I really would liek to try and just use one pin. durning the real thing I have noticed that I use the wrong pin, for up close I want to use the 30 yard pin cause its at the bottom.
Old 11-23-2003, 07:25 AM
nub

I am practicing with (not sure the what the name of them are but not the points that I use to hunt with that have the blades, but when I practice I use the little points)
We' ll tell you this again, you have to practice with your broadheads![:' (] Then you have to replace the blades, or resharpen.
2 out of 3 are the same, the odd ball is the one that usually hits really high or low.
Really now Einstien, what do you think the solotion is here?[:' (]
Also, if I am shooting the " blades" in hunting, and the points in practice.........don' t they fly different, why wouldn' t I want to practice with just the points?
Yes, most of the time " they fly different" ! Are you hunting with field tips? Didn' t think so. Practice with the gear your hunting with.

Listen Joe Blow(your profile), [:@] I' ve already given you the best advice anyone can give. Put your bow away and get your ass over to the tech forum. And don' t come out til you' ve learned something. And don' t pick up a bow until you learn some respect for your equipment and the animals you hunt.[:@]

Quick Reply: What do you guys think my

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.