Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Help with an ethics question. >

Help with an ethics question.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Help with an ethics question.

Old 11-21-2003, 01:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Help with an ethics question.

I don' t know whether it' s peer pressure or what, but it seems deer hunting makes a$$holes out of some decent people.
Old 11-21-2003, 02:13 PM

First off, thanks for the opinions.

I have let him know how I feel about his actions, and on the plane back he appeared to actually care and even admitted to feeling poorly about his actions. But now that he' s back, around the same people who care more about total inches than total experience he' s back to being the same guy who went out hunting instead of looking for a badly hit deer. In fact, he' s finding it more comfortable to avoid me than deal with his shame. The story has even started to evolve leaving out the parts that aren' t flattering. I believe he' s even getting excited for his " official scoring" . WhooooHoooo .. what a way to make Pope and Young.

It' s 1 thing when you witness this with someone you don' t know in the woods .. a whole different animal when they were sitting at a table at your wedding.

Old 11-21-2003, 03:26 PM

That' s really too bad. I' m with everyone else here. It sounds like you have your mind in the right place, and he DOES NOT. Sometimes, for whatever reason-that happens to a few people. Most die hard hunters, with die hard ethics stay that way. But every once and a while, I think they get too good. They get so good they have to impress people, and they can' t stand to fail. It sounds like al lthe glory may have gotten to your friend.

It' s easier to say than do, but you might want to keep hounding him about this. If you think you lost a friend already, you don' t really have anything to lose. If you keep telling him, and he really thinks it over, he might turn back to his old(good) ways. If he doesn' t, you did all you could.

I' m really sorry to hear about this, and I hope it turns out for the best. If it makes you feel any better, you sound like a great guy with rock solid ethics. I' d be happy to have someone like you as a hunting buddy, providing you don' t snore too loud in the cabin(but if you do, there' s always a good supply of ear plugs, so we' ll take you anyway).

peashooter
Old 11-22-2003, 08:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

I think the best thing about this post is that YOU had the respect and responsibility to recover that buck. You are a model of what a bowhunter is all about. Not only was it not your buck, but the guy didn' t want to waste hunting time in Iowa?? So he lets you " waste" your hunting time. Not that it was a waste because it was probably the best time spent there recovering that buck.
This is why I only know 2 people that I will ever hunt with. I' ve hunted with a lot of guys and watched them come and go. Sometimes not by an experience like yours, but simply the way they talk gives me the creeps. Sorry you lost a good hunting buddy, but your ethics are in place not his.
Again I commend you for your efforts on that deer!! way to go.
Old 11-22-2003, 08:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

Ma Jay,

Kudo' s to you and well deserved.

I didn' t read where this was a do it yourself hunt or outfitted....I' m assuming do it yourself because no outfitter should have stood for that, no reputable one anyway and like was mentioned above, although Hoyt probably has no idea who this guy is and he' s probably more self proclaimed shooter, I' d find out who might have staffed him as far as shop, dealer, rep etc...and inform him that he might want to rethink his invitation. What a slob.

Kudos again to you.
Old 11-22-2003, 08:51 AM

It appears that there are a couple of shooters here that are partisan (selective) regarding who violates ethics and who can and do violate the same ethics but with impunity. I guess the demand to be ethical is gauged by popularity of the shooter. [:' (]
Old 11-22-2003, 08:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

It appears that there are a couple of shooters here that are partisan (selective) regarding who violates ethics and who can and do violate the same ethics but with impunity. I guess the demand to be ethical is gauged by popularity of the shooter.
What does that mean? As I read it, everyone condemned the ethics of the shooter as I' m sure they would regardless of who the shooter was....I' m a bit confused to your statement, please clearify.
Old 11-22-2003, 05:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

MaJay, I' d be honored to share a deer camp with you.
C903, I see your pushing the envelope again [X(]. Will you ever stop? I' m with Rob, just what are you talking about?
Old 11-22-2003, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

MA Jay, first off, congratulations on doing the right thing!

Unfortunately for you, doing the right thing is not always easy. It seems pretty obvious to me, from reading your initial post that this incident is really bothering you. Sorry you had to lose a good hunting buddy this way, but I would do the same thing.

Hopefully this guy will realize what a mistake he made, and make things right with you. He should start with a heartfelt apology for the entire episode.

As someone else already mentioned...YOU are welcome at my camp anytime!

C903, everybody knows what you`re talking about...........nope, ain`t going there!
Old 11-23-2003, 04:45 AM

You did the right thing, I think I woulda left the guttin job for him though. You could hunt wiht me anytime

Quick Reply: Help with an ethics question.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.