Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 TWO BUCKS LOCKED UP >

TWO BUCKS LOCKED UP

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

TWO BUCKS LOCKED UP

Old 11-21-2003, 09:17 AM

Default TWO BUCKS LOCKED UP

THERE WAS AN ARTICLE IN THE PAPER LAST NIGHT THAT A BOWHUNTER FOUND TWO MONSTER BUCKS LOCKED TOGETHER IN THE HORICON MARSH. ONE OF THE BUCKS (A HUGE 15 POINTER) WAS DEAD AND STARTING TO DECOMPOSE. THE OTHER BUCK WAS ALIVE AND WAS A HUGE TEN POINTER. THE GUY SHOT THE ALIVE BUCK AND IS GOING TO GET THEM BOTH MOUNTED LOCKED TOGETHER. QUESTION. WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK OF THIS. IF YOU FOUND TWO LOCKED UP WOULD YOU WALK UP TO THEM AND SHOOT THEM, OR TRY TO SAVE THE ONE THAT IS ALIVE?
Old 11-21-2003, 09:27 AM

Default RE: TWO BUCKS LOCKED UP

I' d say I would shoot the alive buck. If they' re locked up and can' t get apart when they are both alive there is little chance the will free up before the remaining alive buck dies. It sucks because it' s not very sporting but if left alone they both would die.
Old 11-21-2003, 09:29 AM

ADAMS, UNLESS YOU COULD FREE UP THE ALIVE ONE.
Old 11-21-2003, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Someone on this board posted a pic not too long ago of a similar situation. Personally I would shoot the buck.
Old 11-21-2003, 09:50 AM

Lenny,
Your a better Man than I if your willing to walk up on an angry buck. This buck is in the fight of hs life. If you free him up what' s to stop him from sticking you with his rack, let alone kicking you while you try to help him. A deers hooves are pretty damn sharp. It' s not a gamble I' m willing to take,
Old 11-21-2003, 09:50 AM

Has anybody had good success approaching a deer that is alive?

To me it sounds like there wasn' t much of a choice. I would think twice about getting too close to a deer that big. If it was a fawn or yearling it might be a different story.

I wonder how much that mount would cost?
Old 11-21-2003, 10:20 AM

MY BROTHER CAME ACROSS THIS SITUATION ON TUESDAY NIGHT. HE WENT HOME AND GOT ME AND WE WENT BACK OUT TO VIDEO TAPE THE DEER. THERE WAS TWO TEN POINTS LOCKED UP, BOTH ALIVE. ONE WAS ABOUT A 140" AND THE OTHER ABOUT A 130" . WE CALLED THE WARDEN AND HE CAME OUT AND BLEW OFF THE MAIN BEAM ON ONE OF THE BUCKS WITH A 12 GUAGE SLUG. THEY BOTH SURVIVED AND DIDN' T SEEM TO BE IN TOO BAD OF SHAPE. YEAH, MY BROTHER (19 YEARS OLD) COULD HAVE VERY EASILY WALKED UP AND SHOT ONE OF THEM, BUT HE DIDN' T. HE WANTED TO SAVE THE TWO BUCKS. I GIVE HIM A LOT OF CREDIT, ESPECIALLY AT HIS AGE. I CAN TELL YOU THAT BOTH THE BUCKS ARE BIGGER THAN ANYTHING HE HAS SHOT AND HE COULD HAVE LEGALLY SHOT ONE OF THEM WITH HIS BOW THAT HE HAD WITH HIM WHEN HE FIRST FOUND THEM.
Old 11-21-2003, 10:25 AM
Fork Horn

I' d shoot the buck.

In 99% of cases where they free the remaining deer that is alive it ends up dying of stress anyways. Once an animal has gone through an ordeal like that there' s pretty much no chance for survival. Might as well put it out of it' s misery instead of allowing him to suffer any longer.
Old 11-21-2003, 10:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

I like the idea of trying to free it. Albeit from a distance. Where is the study that you get your percentages from JZarr I' d like to read it.

Old 11-21-2003, 11:06 AM

ORIGINAL: JZarr

I' d shoot the buck.

In 99% of cases where they free the remaining deer that is alive it ends up dying of stress anyways. Once an animal has gone through an ordeal like that there' s pretty much no chance for survival. Might as well put it out of it' s misery instead of allowing him to suffer any longer.
Jzarr I am curious to where you got that information? Has there been a study done or something? I have heard of deer being shot that were carrying the whole head of the other deer around. Surely if that is possible then both could survive if they were free. I don' t know if I would be the one to attempt getting them apart. Sound like a plan for getting yourself hurt. However, I sure don' t see the sport in killing one when it has zero change to evade you.

Quick Reply: TWO BUCKS LOCKED UP

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.