Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Doe Down and New Bowhunter in the Woods >

Doe Down and New Bowhunter in the Woods

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Doe Down and New Bowhunter in the Woods

Old 11-17-2003, 08:38 PM

Default Doe Down and New Bowhunter in the Woods

To say this season has been tough for me would be an understatement. Had a really nice buck on our property that I had patterned pretty good...poached. Many other factors cutting into my time in the stand coupled with freaky weather and tesspassers = tough so far. Enough ranting...

Have a friend who in the spring picked up an old bow and asked me to teach him about shooting it and deer hunting. He did a great job learning and spent plenty of time practicing with it. Took him on his first bow hunt this evening and set him up about thirty yards from my stand. He wanted to see how it all worked....was truly his first ever hunting experience.

Not an hour after we were in our stand a fork horn chased 4 does off the hillside through a small clearing and into the cleared strip we were set-up on. They slowly worked towards us, but unfortunately worked behind my stand...and thus did not present any shot for my buddy.

I was fortunate enough to drill one home at 20 yards and was able to teach a bit about the other side of the coin. We waited for 2 hours and walked to where we had both last seen the deer and found bright red blood. He helped me follow the trail and actually spotted the downed deer in the tall brush. Watched real close as I gutted it and tried to explain some of the important aspects of opening up a deer.

I' m not sharing this as a pat on the back for me; I enjoyed it and even though my buddy didn' t get a shot, I think he did too. I' m really just impressed with the work he put into practice, asking questions and asking to just tag along with me to see how it all works. His reason for doing so was out of respect for the animals and because he didn' t want to chance wounding a deer before knowing better.

Glad to say that we have a new member of the Bowhunting world, hopefully before the end of the season I will be able to post of his success!

Thanks for reading!
Old 11-17-2003, 09:12 PM
nub

Default RE: Doe Down and New Bowhunter in the Woods

You done good Pat. Congrats on the doe.
Old 11-17-2003, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats Pat. Always nice to introduce another person to the sport.
Old 11-17-2003, 09:22 PM

Have you brought him over to the dark side yet? HUNTINGNET.COM that is.[>:]
Old 11-17-2003, 09:29 PM

Well right on that is cool. I have about three friends and a little brother that I would really like to get into bow hunting, I even picked up a new bow for a killer price, so that I can let them use until they get the bow bug too and get their own gear. And the new bow was cause I lost my old hunting buddy to stupid pain pills that he got addicited to. Been best freinds for like 17 years never missed a season without him. Then he got hooked on them. And he has changed alot. I gave him as much time and effort as I could afford and he just shut me out. He has since gotton some better and seems to be off of them, and I am still talking to him but there is no trust anymore. Anyhow he got real bad and started selling stuff of his and his familys and even a few things of mine and another mutual friend that he happen to have. Accually he was pawning it all and he pawned his brand new Martin that he just bought a few months ago and he fully equipped it, with such things like a Alpine quiver,and some nice sights. Anyhow he was going to lose it so I bought it for myself for $117. I wasnt going to do it for him cause of what he used the money for.

Sorry for the book about my life it just kills me about my friend, he is like my brother and I still cant believe it, but thanks for letting me get it off of my chest for a bit.