Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 A little disgusted with bow hunting. >

A little disgusted with bow hunting.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

A little disgusted with bow hunting.

Old 11-18-2003, 10:23 AM

Default RE: A little disgusted with bow hunting.

Kevin Garceau

dont get caught up in the money game of it....lol I did that for too long and spent way more than I ever earned and I never had to buy a bow.

I agree if its your shooting ability Practice, but if you think its the bow and you have tuned it to its best ability, then by all means get another one. This guy has not bought a new bow so he does' nt know. If your not confident in your equipment how can you be confident in the field. Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:33 AM

I agree with nub. So many perfiect hits that I hear about just seem to stop bleeding after 200 or 300 yards. Simply stated...

Perfect hits don' t go that far.

Nothing is infallable, heads don' t open, string trackers tangle or break, whatever, but you have had more than your share. Take stock of the shots you take, your tracking abilities, and so on. Practice and train yourself to watch the arrow to see the point of impact. The manner in which the animal leaves is also a good indication of where you hit it. Read books, watch videos as so on.

You know all of this. Take a ggod alook and get back at it when you figure it all out.

Greg
Old 11-18-2003, 11:04 AM

I agree he does have to have confidence in his equiptment. But ANY properly tuned bow will be effective and accurate enough for whitetail kill area. I would also expect that he limits his shots to his comfort zone.
Old 11-18-2003, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I definatley dont need a new bow. I do practice constantly, thats not the problem I just cant seem to find the animals even with perfect shots like I made on the turkey and bobcat, the doe was hit a little high but still hit lungs, but no blood to track. Some people have the luck, my friend made a terrible shot on a deer it was hit in the hind, quartering away and we were able to find his not 75 yds away.
If it wasnt for bad luck I guess I wouldnt have any luck at all.
I definatley am confident with my bow I cant hit squirrels 20-30 yds away with it.
Numerous rabbits too. It' s just dicouraging when I cant find them cause I know there dead at that point but where ?
Old 11-18-2003, 12:00 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with the info you received here and can only echo the fact that bowhunting is very difficult to master but worth all of the work. The worse level a person can get to is " almost" good enough with their equipment. When you get to the point where you shoot good enough to hit a deer it usually means your just good enough to wound one. Unfortunately you have to kill deer with a bow before you can actually learn " how" to kill deer with a bow. The best advice I can give is to locate an experienced bowhunter in you area and ask them if they would be available to assist you if and when you make a hit on an animal. It' s knowing " when" and " where" to shoot a deer that will make you successful and knowing what to do after the shot that will get the animal home. I' ve helped numerous locals get into bowhunting and have tracked literrally hundreds of deer for people new to the sport. I know you read of deer that have been bowshot in the body cavity that have lived but I can tell you that it is extremely rare that this happens and most of what you read is wishful thinking on the bowhunters part. While most of them have done everything that " they" know how to do to recover the deer it still doesn' t make a dead deer alive again. The local bowshop or archery range is a good place to start to locate the right help. Good luck and don' t give up too easy.
Old 11-18-2003, 12:09 PM

Zrex,
Im sorry and I for one and Im sure the others on here dont mean to make you feel any more disgusted. If you took my replies in that manner I apologize, sometimes on this message boards things look a little differently than they were meant too. I know all the well the feeling you are having. I wuold be everyone on here has felt this way at one point or another. ' Thats a good thing, if you didnt feel bad about wounding deer then...well I dont need to go into it. There are many things to help you track, other people, that blood hound spray etc, some areas dogs are legal to track with etc. If you put the proper amount of time into locating wounded game and come up empty there is nothing you can do, I dont knwo what the proper amount of time is. Keep your attitude up, practice with all your hunting clothes on, practice from a tree, blind etc....one important thing I would tell people in the bowshop is when you practice with these clothes or conditions, you only get ONE shot, the first one is the only one that counts. Make sense?
Old 11-18-2003, 04:24 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt in the woods (no field edges) exclusively and have become absolutely fanatical about trimming shooting lanes around my stand sites.

Mr Murphy (author of the law) rides on every arrow I shoot.

UR
Old 11-18-2003, 04:38 PM

I know EXCACTLY how you feel. I hate to say this, but i have wounded 3 deer in my bowhunting carrer. which doesnt sound that bad unless you know that this year was the first time i had ever shot at a deer with a bow.... Let me find the links to when i was about to quit and you' ll find some great info in there i think.

Here we go, first post - http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.as...mode=1&smode=1

Look on the first one before you look at the second, but look at them if you would, i think they will help.
heres #2 - http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.as...ode=&s=#402033
Old 11-19-2003, 07:01 AM

I just cant seem to find the animals even with perfect shots like I made on the turkey and bobcat, the doe was hit a little high but still hit lungs, but no blood to track.
Sorry buddy, but you did NOT make perfect shots on those animals, not even close to perfect. Double lung hit animals do not go far. Your arrows did not go where you think they did, on the deer, the turkey or the bobcat.

You need to understand this, because thinking you made good hits and the animals escaping is not reality.