Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 First bow kill, but I feel a little bad about it. >

First bow kill, but I feel a little bad about it.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

First bow kill, but I feel a little bad about it.

Old 11-25-2003, 12:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: First bow kill, but I feel a little bad about it.

I killed my first one this year as well. A button buck. I took it for a doe. I felt bad for about 30seconds, but I was too excited. I hunt in NC as well and punched the wrong tag I was so shook up.

I haven' t see too many 180lb spikes in NC what county are you in?
Old 11-25-2003, 05:49 PM

There is absolutely nothing to be ashamed about in taking that deer. Congrats on the ultra-clean kill.
Old 11-25-2003, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

YOu have NOTHING to be sad about. You made a great harvest clean kill and have some great meat for the freezer. You did great. Congrats on the buck.

Brian
Old 11-26-2003, 01:39 AM

Nice kill,and I have to agree about the trophy being the accomplishment.
Old 12-23-2003, 01:12 AM

congrats on your first bow kill. At least you got a clean kill. My first bow kill was a basket rack 8 pt. i shot it through the hind quarters and it ran to my hunting buddy and he finished it for me. At least you did the first by your self.
Old 12-23-2003, 05:30 AM

Nice going ncbowhunter. Most folks would not be able to claim their 1st. was such a clean kill. You kept it all together and you should remember that moment forever.
Old 12-23-2003, 05:58 AM

NC,you should be proud of your first bow kill.It does'nt matter if it's a spike or a ten pointer.That's what bow hunting is all about,up close and personable, and you did it! Enjoy the moment,the meat,and the memories,Congradulations!!..Bob>>>>&gt ;By the way,would you have the same feelings about the spike if you dropped him at 100yds with a 7mm Mag?,I don't think so.Quit being so hard on yourself,and once again,Congrats!!!!
Old 12-23-2003, 06:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

I estimate that the live weight of the deer was probably between 160 and 180 lbs
First of all let me point this out to the other folks, he did state live weight and 160 on the hoof is not a huge spike at all, its not small, but that sounds about right to me for live weight.

ncbowhunter, I gun hunted for over 30 years before I picked up a bow and it took me 2 full seasons before I killed my first, a doe. I will tell you what, I think I was more excited about that first bow kill than a monster 8 point I killed with a gun years ago. You have a true trophy, your first bow kill and you killed him with a perfectly placed shot! He will be some fine eating! Congrats on your first and hold your head high because this puts you in front of every gun hunter out there in my book and I hunt both gun and bow.
Old 12-23-2003, 06:28 AM

Hi ncbowhunter,

Congratulations on your first deer and bow kill! Nothing to be ashamed of...you made a humane killing shot and did it in an ethical manner. Once again congratulations.

Even to this day when I harvast a healthy animal there is that little "pang of feelings for the animal". I realize the import of what I've done....I've taken another life. But I understand the importance of the "circle of life" and accept my responsibility by participating in it. I am always thankful for the harvast...and that my family will receive sustinance from the animal and its sacrifice. I honestly believe that if I ever lose that feeling....that I will have lost a very "human" part of myself.

Simultaneously I have feelings of exuberation and satisfaction for successfully fulfilling an ancient and instinctive compulsion....that of provider. I understand that in today's world it would frequently just be less expensive to buy the meat at the supermarket. But it doesn't change the instinctive desire to be able to do it "for oneself". And realizing I don't have to pay someone else to do the "dirty work", so to speak. I accept the responsibility for my participation in life!

I honestly believe many, if not most, ethical hunters experience a little of these feelings after they make the kill. (And that is probably a good thing.....cause I'm equally as certain that the people that would "steal another's animal"...or break game laws.....poach....etc.....have NONE of those feelings!)

You've accepted your place in life's cycle....you did it well, and humanely. Enjoy your memories...and your meals. Good luck in your future hunts and pass those experiences to the next generation!

Dave
Old 12-23-2003, 07:37 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: First bow kill, but I feel a little bad about it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.