Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Story on the local news about deer >

Story on the local news about deer

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Story on the local news about deer

Old 11-14-2003, 09:10 AM
Spike

Default Story on the local news about deer

I saw a story on our local Fox affiliate about a woman in Town & Country (St. Louis suburb) who had a car accident involving a deer. She calls the police on her cell and the cop responding to the call also is involved in a bad accident with a deer. They have a live feed at the scene and the reporter is talking about the severe overpopulation of deer in the area. He claims there are over 100 deer per square mile compared to an average area holding 20-30 deer per square mile. The female anchor asks the reporter " What about deer hunters? Aren' t they supposed to be keeping theses animals in check?" .

Two years ago the citizens of Town & Country voted to make hunting illegal within the city limits. They decided instead to spend big $' s and hire a professional trapper to catch the deer alive and relocate to a more rural area. The results have been a disaster. The vast majority of the deer trapped have died from stress.

Just thought I would share.
Old 11-14-2003, 10:14 AM

Default RE: Story on the local news about deer

That' s great!
I hate to see anybody get hurt, but that' s a slap in the face to the anti' s
Old 11-14-2003, 10:23 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Actually this is a shot in the arm for the antis, not a slap in the face. Local news coverage has a live feed on the scene and tells everyone how poor a job the hunters have done controlling the deer. There is your take home message. The only place the antis got slapped in the face was on the message board where the truth comes out. A letter to the editor of the local paper would be very beneficial here.
Old 11-14-2003, 10:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

I think it could go either way. It would have been nice to have had a local hunter there voicing some concern from the hunting community about the overpopulation as well.
Old 11-14-2003, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I' m with ya on that one PA, sure would be nice to have the story told the truthful way - " Here' s what happens when freaks and geeks and tree hugging commies take control of a deer population." Idiots.

" What about deer hunters? Aren' t they supposed to be keeping theses animals in check?" .
What the hunters are NOT doing about it. That' s absurd. Wow I hate people. People are idiots and brainwashed cowards.

Ok, done. Sorry.
Old 11-14-2003, 11:55 AM

OK, you are right. The local paper needs a letter to the editor stating that the community does not allow deer hunting and that the alternate method is not working
Old 11-14-2003, 12:49 PM

" Here' s what happens when freaks and geeks and tree hugging commies take control of a deer population."
I' m offended. I consider myself to be a bonafide tree hugger! Odds are though that I' m hugging a tree with one hand and have my bow in the other!
Old 11-14-2003, 04:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

mez

You seemed to have missed something.Hunters haven' t done a poor job controlling the population because it is ILLEGAL for them to hunt these deer.They are obviously doing a better job in areas where hunting is allowed.Unless they didn' t explain that it was illegal to hunt deer in this area.

Reminds me of when somewhere in California they made it illegal to hunt mountain lions and a few years later started crying about all the attacks the lions had on humans.

It' s time for these idiots to realize that we are a part of the food chain and that we are at the top of it.We are needed,especially in this day and age.
Old 11-14-2003, 04:54 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

TFOX, I think you missed my point. From what I get out of the story the live news feed said nothing about hunting being illegal in the township, they only made a snide comment about hunting. I would be willing to bet that a majority of the township is not aware of the fact that hunting is illegal and a larger majority outside the township would not know this. Taking this into consideration, if all that is said is, " What about the hunters, I thought they were supposed to be taking care of this." There is your take home message, totally incorrect as it may be that is what was said. That is what the antis can show people without telling the rest of the story.
Old 11-14-2003, 09:46 PM

I have a co-worker that took a nice 10-pt buck last year....with her SUV!!!!!!!!! I listened to her for months about what kind of damage it did and how much insurance had to pay.

In passing I told her I was going hunting last weekend and she actually turned her nose up to me!!! Never mind the fact that her import' s electrical system is still jacked up!!!

I don' t blame her. I blame her parents for not sharing the truth at an early age. Instead they told lies. Now, no matter what FACTS are shown to her, she will always have the lies as her basis of truth.

Sorry, that was deeper than I intended!!!!