Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 another story about a local legend >

another story about a local legend

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

another story about a local legend

Old 11-24-2004, 07:41 PM
Typical Buck

Default another story about a local legend

I've got another story of what is quickly becoming a local legend:

MY INCREDIBLE BAD LUCK WITH DEER.

I'm just sick to my stomach... just sick. Today at around noon I look outside and the rain had turned to snow! The weather was getting nasty!~ My brother commented on his dismay and I said excitedly, "I'm going hunting!" Later that afternoon a buddy and I went and sat up in our tree stands, around 2:30PM. The weather had gone from snowing and blowing pretty hard to just blowing hard. This was one of those trips you don't tell your wife what it was like in the stand, swaying up to a foot or more! We sat through it convinced that the nasty weather and the RAPID drop in temperature would get the deer moving.
Our paths getting to the stand had become a swamp! I put an entire leg into water up to my knee and drenched my whole right foot. Still I was not going to give up on what I thought was going to be a good afternoon. After about 2 hours of pretty cold temperatures, wet weather, blowing wind and huge trees crashing down around us we decided to call it quits. If you do the math you'll find out that we were stopping about 45 minutes till dark. We decided (my idea! [:@][:'(]) that since we weren't seeing a thing that we'd try and navigate the swamp on the way back with the aid of daylight instead of in the dark. With more daylight then we needed to get back to our cars we decided to take a few practice shots into the field whose tree line we were in. We gauged a few shots at around 30 yards to see if we were right with our estimates. We were.

We quickly climbed down and walked into the field to retrieve our test shots. When we got out there I said that we should go out into the middle of the field over the ridge that kept us from seeing across to the other side. We got out there and checked out the other side and there was nothing there. So we start heading back to the other side and about half way there my friend whisper-yells, "DUCK!" As soon as I did I looked back at him and he was motioning towards the tree line where our stand was. I quickly turned my head to see the largest deer I've ever seen in person! A 10 or 11 point with G2's that were easily over 14" long. The following points were close to the same size. His symmetry was perfect and was much larger than any deer we expected to see on this property. So there he was standing IN FRONT OF OUR STANDS. Right where we would have been if we didn't get out of the stands early............. [&o][&o][&o]

A few more motions by us and the deer spooked and took off... I was so upset I couldn't even talk.

So there you have it! I'm practicaly a local legend. Hopefully some of your days looked good compared to mine.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:53 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: another story about a local legend

I feel your pain. Ive had that happen a few times. One time I was sitting in my stand in the rain, About 11:00 I decided to call it Quits. I lowered my bow and stand and started down taking the steps out as I came down (was gonna move stand) when all of a sudden here come a nice 6 ptr running in and stopped right under my stand looking up at me. I just held on and didnt move. bow and stand on the ground, eventually he trotted off... Dont give up get back out there, Its just another lesson learned..
Old 11-25-2004, 08:12 AM

Default RE: another story about a local legend

bscofield, I feel your pain. Sooner or later if a person hunts long enough that's going to happen, though that sounds like one heck of a buck. If there's a positive side to this, atleast you know he's out there. Good luck getting him.