Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Anyone Ever Shoot 2nd Deer during Same Hunt ? >

Anyone Ever Shoot 2nd Deer during Same Hunt ?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anyone Ever Shoot 2nd Deer during Same Hunt ?

Old 11-14-2003, 06:42 AM

Default Anyone Ever Shoot 2nd Deer during Same Hunt ?

Hi ...... last year after shooting my deer, I waited in my tree for half an hour, still trembling which I always do, and had put down my bow .......... a big doe walked right along the same path I earlier shot my buck on ........ I was not even thinking about the possibility of shooting a second deer, even though I had another tag ......
Anyway, she spotted me before I could get my act together .........

Just curious if any of you boys and girls ever shot a second deer before getting down to retrieve your first from that morning or evening hunt ? (if extra tags available of course)

Old 11-14-2003, 06:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Anyone Ever Shoot 2nd Deer during Same Hunt ?

No, but if I had been paying attention last year I could have, I had just stuck a doe and was calming the shakes with a smoke when out of the corner of my eye I saw another doe coming straight to the one I had just killed, by the time I had picked up my bow and started to draw she busted me! Oh well!
Old 11-14-2003, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I' ve never done it with a bow, gun yes. Currently I think we have to tag the 1st deer before attempting to shoot a 2nd. Had the law allowed I could have done it on a couple occasions but still not sure if I would have. 1 at a time is enough work, let alone 2.
Old 11-14-2003, 07:08 AM

Shot one with slug gun while field dressing another.
My watch was still hanging off of my gun.Be careful though, blood makes guns rust quickly.
Old 11-14-2003, 07:16 AM
Fork Horn

same hunt, hell! my little brother shot 2 does with one shot during late muzzle season last year
Old 11-14-2003, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I' ve done it about 5 or 6 times with a bow. Could have done it again two nights ago, if I' d had an arrow on the string.
Old 11-14-2003, 08:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

No, I have not personally done it but I have been in a situation where I could have as well. I have also had a buddy of mine shoot two does within a 15 minutes of one another several seasons back.
Old 11-14-2003, 08:37 AM
Fork Horn

My dad and I hunt pretty close together and one year I shot an 8 pt buck at about 7:00a.m., dressed him, got back up in my stand and filled his tag with another 8 pt about 8:30. Last year I shot a really nice 8 pt at 7:15 a.m. but waited until 9 to dress him just in case another one showed up. Sure enough, I just opened up the first one when a nice 10 pt shows up following a doe. By the time I got the gun up he was gone. My dad never even saw him. My freezer is pretty full with my 215 lb bow kill so I will only be filling my tag this year.
Old 11-14-2003, 09:12 AM
Spike

I shot 2 does on the same stand the same nite.There were 2 does and i shot 1 and they took off.Then bout a half hour later another doe came running up and she stopped to look at me and i shot her.
Old 11-14-2003, 09:28 AM

Shotgun season. I was sitting on the ground at the base of a tree and had a doe and a fawn come across a field and enter the woods about 50 yards away. I missed the doe (found where the slug hit a tree) but both deer never ran and didn' t even appear to be spooked. After milling around and feeding for a few minutes the fawn stepped into an opening and I dropped her with one shot. The doe ran about 20 yards towards me and then stopped to look back at her fawn. After watching her fawn she turned and continued to walk towards me. When she was about 10 yards away I noticed blood on her muzzle and a blood spot on her lower belly. Even though in Ohio you are supposed to have attached a tag to the first deer before shooting your second I couldn' t knowingly let her walk away wounded even though I knew that I hadn' t shot her. So after she passed by me at about 10 feet I swung my gun around and put her down. I tagged both deer and was home by noon.

As I was dragging the deer out I checked their tracks where they had crossed the field and found a few drops of blood in the snow from the doe which further verified my thought that I had not hit her with the first shot.

Quick Reply: Anyone Ever Shoot 2nd Deer during Same Hunt ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.