Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Two mMsses, Good Weekend >

Two mMsses, Good Weekend

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Two mMsses, Good Weekend

Old 11-12-2003, 06:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default Two mMsses, Good Weekend

Had my 8 year old son with me last weekend.
Used my buddy' s ground blind to put my son in at the bottom of my tree. Got in the woods just before daybreak and as we' re setting up the blind, not 30 yards off we hear a deer snort as it took off. Pretty cool. Ok about 6:45 2 doe come in. One works it' s way all around us to within 15 yards of my son in the blind. I' m telling him that the deer is on the other side of the blind while he is looking out the back window and he shoud look out the front window. As the zippers start coming down, I swear that deer looked in his direction and said " What in the He!!" I can see my son' s head searching for the deer above the brush that the blind was behind. As the deer turned to take off I gave her a " errrp" to stop her. I let the arrow go, but misjudged the distance and the arrow flew low. My son thought we had her, but I let him down easy. He didn' t see her until she took off after the shot.
That evening we set up in another area and I sat in the blind with him. Had hot chocolate together and talked about everything. Didn' t need to see anything, just had a good time watching squirrels in a hollow tree chasing each other and joking and playing around with each other.
All in all, time spent with your kids is more valuable than you think.
I missed another doe after my son had returned home for school, but it didn' t matter. I' ll forget about the missed shots, and remember the weekend for the time I had with him. My brother gave him my nephew' s youth bow. I' m going to lower the draw weight and see if he can pull it.
Can' t wait for our next trip.[8D]
Old 11-12-2003, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Two mMsses, Good Weekend

Sounds like a fun hunt! Glad to hear you enjoyed the time with your son. Wait until he gets his first deer.
Old 11-17-2003, 02:27 PM

With all of the hunting stories I read on this board, this one really struck a chord with me. My son is 3 years old and I can' t wait till he' s old enough to share some hunting time with me. He already asks me if I " saw any deer today" when I come home from my hunts.

As you said, it' s not how big the deer you shoot is or whether or not you even get one. It' s about spending time outdoors and if you can share that with your son or daughter then that' s a precious thing.

Great story and congrats on your " successful" hunt.
Old 11-17-2003, 02:30 PM

I love hunting with my son who' s 8. Could care less if we get anything or not. He' s a blast to be with.

Glad to hear you had such a good time.
Old 11-17-2003, 03:18 PM

Good fun and a good Dad.
Old 11-17-2003, 05:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

I envy any of you that get to take your son or daughter out hunting with you, my 11 year old son lives in North Dakota with his mother, (10 hour drive one way) so I only get to see him for 8 weeks in the summer, and every other Holiday. Oh by the way, I live in Southern Mn. Long story, but she decided that she wanted a divorce, and then took him and moved out to no mans land.
Old 11-17-2003, 06:10 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys. Long story short. I adopted my wife' s daughter.(She' s 10) And we have a son together who is 2. My 8 year old boy is from a relationship prior to my wife and I meeting. ( I know, sounds llike a Springer episode)
I know there are a few Dads out there in situations like yours BigDaddy12t. I too have a visitation schedule to abide by, but he only lives a few miles from me with his mother.
I figure if I can get him interested in something other than Playstation 2, cartoon network, Gameboys, or whatever else makes him a couch potato, then I' ll do it. Once I get the bow set up for him, I won' t have to go to the range by myself anymore either. But when we' re at camp he does keep the fire going real good.
Anyway, I know it' s hard to bowhunt AND entertain a youngster at the same time. But I' ve realized that out of the 8 or so weekends I am able to get out to bowhunt (for me that IS a miracle) 2 or 3 of those weekends I can set aside to bring my boy and have fun doing both. Next time out he is going to get to shoot. A camera. I thought , hey it might be a good way to teach him how to get close and get a shot off.
Happy hunting fellas, and thanks for the kind words.[8D]
Old 11-17-2003, 06:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well done wear!!!!! I take my son on all my scouting trips and shed hunting as well! He is 7 and loves doin this stuff with me! I took him out bowhunting once this year and we had a few does around but no shot opertunities! [:-]