Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 local news station shows lab shot w/ arrow >

local news station shows lab shot w/ arrow

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

local news station shows lab shot w/ arrow

Old 11-12-2003, 08:23 PM

Default RE: local news station shows lab shot w/ arrow

My two cents:

If a dog has no collar and is running around where i deer hunt, then they will probably be shot with the same discretion as a coyote. Where I am from there are small packs of dogs that run through the woods; they were dumped there by people who didnt want them for the most part. If i feel that the dogs or coyotes are chasing the deer in the area, I shoot them. Otherwise, I just watch them go by. I am much more careful about shooting a dog than a coyote though. I have a pet dog, and he stays in the yard...if he gets out and gets hit by a car, its not the drivers fault, it is mine for not making sure he gets out. I understand that there is a lot more control over a person shooting a dog, but the responsibility is the same. Without a collar, the dog is a wild dog to me and is treated the same as a coyote.

In reply to Huntm up' s post:

Kill to survive? I guarantee you that at least 95% of this board (I would actually guess 100%, seeing that everyone here has a computer) does not HAVE to hunt deer to survive. Everyone has their own reasons, but survival hunting is not the reason for most anymore.
Old 11-12-2003, 11:14 PM

I' m not against shooting domestic dogs if they are a wildlife nuisance
hey man... f$#k you, your telling me that if someones pet screwed up your hunt you would kill it? well you are a f%$ing jackass! you guys that have no problem killing someones pet are absolutely stupid. if your kid was out building a tree house, would it be cool if i stuck an arrow in his/her ass? i think not! a lab is obviously a pet, part of a family. ill tell you what, if i found a man touch my dog with an intention other than saying hello, that man WILL bleed from the fruits of my labor... i guarantee it!
Old 11-13-2003, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

EASTWOOD,
TOO FUNNY!Oh,tell your dog i said hello![&:]
Old 11-13-2003, 09:17 AM

I can' t believe how stupid some of you guys are, really. Shooting a dog is the STUPIDIST thing you could do. Dogs are like family members to you and I ASSURE you if you shoot their dog they will do EVERYTHING possible to make your life miserable. You think a dog can screw up your hunt? Try a pissed off dog owner with a mission to spook your deer.

I can not think of ONE THING that could hurt hunters more then shooting peoples animals. Hmm, I wonder why there aren' t alot of areas we can hunt, wait a minute no I don' t it is because of stupid stuff like this! The land I hunt is only hunted by ME, why? Because the farmer walks his dog every morning and doesn' t want some moron shooting his dog. He knows I love dogs and have 2 of my own. I thought he was over reacting but some of these posts have shown he was right, some hunters are foolish savages.

I guess there are yahoos that hunt.

When I walk my dogs I always carry my Glock with me, I shudder to think of what I would do to someone I saw shoot my dog.
Old 11-13-2003, 09:24 AM

To Jsasker
You are telling me that i do not know what i am talking about? I made my point in my opinion ok jack ass. Domestic, means cultured and civilized, why would you shoot a domestic animal. There is no use in it you are killing to kill. If you have a problem with my opinion thats fine, its my opinion not yours but to tell me my opinoin is wrong who do you think you are. ANd you keep tlaking about this dog that is chasing your deer, Well if you are blessed with so much wisdom in hunting and traping, than why do you still have a dog problem. CAll the police and have them get the dog.
To Bowhuntry
I am not saying that we all hunt to surive i am saying that if you kill something use the meat, surive of the fuel this animal is given you. Do not just kill to kill, that is all i am saying.
Old 11-13-2003, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Kill to surive don;t kill to kill.

Huntm Up.........Let me get this straight....you kill to survive? You actually kill deer because that is your only source of food? I hardly doubt that since you even have access to a computer and have time to play on the internet. You kill to kill, not to survive. Comparing a dog to a human is down right laughable.LOL!!!

If I saw a dog run by me while I' m hunting I would not shoot it. If I see it a second time I would not shoot it. A third time my finger will start to get pretty darn itchy. The fourth I' m sending sending a bullet it' s way. This tells me that the owner (if it has one) does not love it' s dog enough to keep it out of harms way. Why would you let your dog run loose back in the woods where there are hunters? Pow!!!!!!!!
I have a dog myself and if it was to run off in the woods on a continous basis then I would have no one but myself to blame if it were to be shot because I would do the same thing. I wouldn' t put any blame on the shooter at all. Pretty simple logic.
Old 11-13-2003, 11:03 AM

Dogs Pursuing Big Game
No persons may allow their dog to chase or kill big game.
Between January 1 and July 14 a dog that is observed wounding,
killing, or pursuing in a way that endangers big game may be killed
by any person. A peace officer or conservation officer may kill a dog
that endangers big game at any time of the year. The officer or person
is not liable for damages for killing the dog.
This was taken from the Minnesota Hunting Regulations. I know lots of you guys seem to think that shooting a dog is never ok no matter what the circumstances. I have to disagree. Dogs chasing game is a problem. Even the state is aware of it. Maybe most of you live in the city or the suburb. I live out in the sticks. Dogs that are running around my property are a long way from home. The fact is some people will get a litter of dogs that they didn' t want and go drop them off in the country. Then we have a problem. There is only one way to deal with it. The dogs have to be killed. Once dogs start chasing deer they will likely never stop.

And please stop comparing your dogs to your children. If you told your kids not to go chase deer on someone else' s property they will listen. Besides that your children are not capable of running down deer and killing them with their bare hands.

As far as taking it up with the owner of the dogs it would often be impossible to find the owner of the dog. It isn' t like you can follow the dog on foot. They are too fast. They also don' t stop when you yell to they so you can ask them where they live.

If I ever have a problem with a dog I always make an attempt to see if the dog is friendly. If it is it will stop and come when I call it. Of course them I would never shoot it. I would attempt to find it' s owner or take it to a shelter. However, if it is wild and chasing game, I am going to kill it. It is my right and my duty.
Old 11-13-2003, 12:03 PM

jonny-
If you would have read my post you would of noticed that i wrote, ia m not saying i surive just off deer meat, but i use all the meat for fuel to my body. I am just simply saying if you are going to kill it use it kill and surive off the meat you harvested. Don' t waist an animal. There is no point in killing a dog expect to kill a dog and being petty, to kill an animal that is doing what you are doing, hunting. I do not surive off of just deer meat and other meat i harvest, but it is a big part of my diet, I like to use all of the animal. I don' t kill to just kill, okay buddy, so next time you feel the incline to respond to a post, make sure you read the entire thing, thanks.
Old 11-13-2003, 12:32 PM

So let me get this straight. Letting a dog run around in the woods and play makes me irresponsible and a bad owner? Have you ever met a dog???

There is nothing my dogs like more then when I let them run out in back of the house and they chase rabbits and birds etc. They LIVE for this. I paid a lot of money FOR THIS. When my Springer and Lab aren' t outside they are watching the birds outside. It is what they are BORN to do. They are FREAKING hunting dogs, they HUNT.

I train my dogs NOT to be on a leash, they sure as hell aren' t going to kick up any birds standing next to me! I need them out 25 yards give or take with good recall. Have you ever noticed what a suburban " leash" dog does when you take them off the leash? They TAKE OFF. It is a big deal to them but not to my dogs.

There is nothing my dogs enjoy more then being in the field during pheasant season, hunting.

Say you shoot some kids dog, how the hell do you think he is going to feel about hunters? He will HATE them for life. The kids parents? The neighbors? The friends? You are only damaging our sport by your foolish behavior. I for one am now less proud to be a bow hunter knowing that I' m associated with people that would kill someones pet.

You might as well be a member of PETA because you sure as hell are helping their cause!

Sick, selfish, shortsighted.
Old 11-13-2003, 02:02 PM

So let your dog run loose and I won' t shoot them - if you reimburse me for my lost time in the woods. My vacation days are expensive. As a software developer my contractor rate is $150/hour. Then there is gas for the 300 mile round trip. Not to mention the cost of a kitchen pass from the wife. How many days are you going to pay for before you tie up your dog or keep it in the house so I don' t have to watch it for you as it plays around in my hunting area?

If it has a collar I will ask you nicely to tie it up.

If it doesn' t have a collar it' s a feral animal and will be taken care of in an appropriate manner.

Your pets are your responsibility just like your children. Do you know where your kids are?

Quick Reply: local news station shows lab shot w/ arrow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.