Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Tracking wounded deer >

Tracking wounded deer

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tracking wounded deer

Old 11-10-2003, 03:08 PM

Default Tracking wounded deer

I know you guys get tired of these posts, but I need some advice. This does not involve a bow shot, I was using a rifle, but I know you guys are great at tracking. Deer was quartering away from me at 120 yards, with its left side toward me. I put the crosshairs behind the shoulder and fired. Deer hunkered up a bit and took off running into a clear cut. I lost sight of it behind a small hill. I only waited 10 minutes because I did not expect the deer had run far as I had a perfect shot and saw no reason it was not hit in the vitals. A small amount of blood like " pudding" was found where it was standing. My buddy and I thought it was lung or heart. Then a small chunk of meat was found wrapped up in a briar. Finally a blood trail started, bright red blood. The blood was appearing sporadically, with not a lot at each spot. One spot was about 2 foot off the ground on a pine sapling. The trail went about 30 yards, then veered to the left. Here the blood started becoming very sparse and watery. A small patch of blood was found, then the last sign was about 50 yards, back to the right. The deer had run in a zig zag pattern. The last sign was in front of a creek, mostly watery, very little blood in this patch. We searched up and down the creek but could find no more sign or evidence of a crossing. I am hoping the wound is superficial and have no idea how I missed the vitals. I am going to check the creek and a nearby pond again tomorrow.
Old 11-10-2003, 04:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Tracking wounded deer

I' d say he' s dead , now just go find him. He may have doubled back, if he you are positive he didn' t cross the stream.
Old 11-10-2003, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have heard that if a wounded deer makes it to water he will stand in the water to soothe his pain. That might be a wives tale but it is worth a try.

I' d look downriver to where he would have floated after he died. Probably the first log(stick) jam you can find downriver. If it was a buck, look for antler tips sticking out of the water.

My 2 cents
Old 11-10-2003, 05:00 PM

if the shot was in the vitals like you think he' s probally down. if you can' t find the blood trail start walking circle patterns from the point you last found blood. As jerseyhunter mentioned he may have doubled-back ...re-check his path to the river.

what caliber rifle were you using?
Old 11-10-2003, 05:12 PM

I am using a .30-06. I was aiming at the vitals, but based on the blood trail and the small piece of meat I don' t think I hit vitals. I still don' t know what that original gelatin type stuff was; it sure looked like heart or lung. I have heard that watery blood means a marginal hit. I checked my gun when I got home and it was 2 inches low at 100 yards, I still should have hit the boilerroom. To me, the whole key is the watery blood, what would cause that?
Old 11-10-2003, 05:45 PM

the watery and jello type blood sounds like a low gut or intestine hit.you should find him by the birds overhead the next day.
Old 11-10-2003, 06:20 PM

sounds like it wasn' t asgood a hit as what you thought but he is dead keep looking around the water and in thick brushy areas