Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Logging question >

Logging question

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Logging question

Old 11-10-2003, 12:11 AM

Default Logging question

Howdy,

We are looking at putting our land into a conservation program to help with the tax burden. About the only thing we have ruled out is one of the programs that would allow anyone to hunt there, it' s not a big plot (55 acres or so). Since we would not be able to do anything with the trees after it is in the program, we are looking at selectively logging it prior to signing the papers. We have only owned it for about 8 years, and I believe that it was logged about 10 years or so ago, I' m not sure it' s worth it. I would like to keep the mature trees that we have, and most of the trees are not worth it for the loggers (cedar and popples). The potential money is not an isse. Will hunting suck after this? Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

thanx in advance
The Trashcanman
Old 11-10-2003, 05:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Logging question

It will not hurt the deer population at all, matter of fact it might increase the numbers some. The only thing, you will have the brush to contend with for awhile. I logged off about 60 acres this last spring and I see as many or more deer on that 60 as I did before we logged it, but it has a will grow up with some thick stuff and its harder to get around in the woods especially on a 4 wheeler.
Old 11-10-2003, 06:02 AM

Our ground got hit by a tornado in May. Fortunately, no one was hurt, but we had about $40,000 worth of timber hit the ground. We didn' t want to, but we had to have a logging company come in because there were so many hangers that the woods were just plain dangerous. Anyway, long-story short, now that the logging is done, I' m sure that the place is a bigger mess than when they started (The hangers are all down, however. If you do contract with a timber company, be very specific in your contract about what will be taken and what clean-up will involve. If you don' t need the money, though, I just simply wouldn' t do it at all.
Old 11-10-2003, 07:14 AM

You have a great oppertunity here. I think you should diversafy your woods. It will only add to the number and variety of game. The land I hunt is quite a bit larger than yours (700 acres) and the game numbers and variety has increased substantualy.

I think you should:
1 - Consult the local forester. If you cut or log it off you may not quallify for some of these programs.
2 - Take all the popple out for pulp. This will give a lot of brush the following year. Deer and partrage love these areas. It will also give the deer brouse for the winter.
3 - Clear cut about a 8-10 acre square in the middle. Leave nothing standing over 36" tall. This will become the spot that is almost impossible to hunt. Witch means that the deer will love it.
4 - Do not take out any mature trees that produce a mast crop except in the clear cut area.

I am not fermiller with what would happen with the cedar. The deer do like to eat it for winter brouse though. Contacting the state biologest may help with that.

You will not regret doing this
Old 11-10-2003, 07:34 AM

deer/turkey/quail/rabbits ... they all love clear cuts/selective timber harvested areas. Assuming you leave mast producing trees. Squirrels will suffer a bit if you cut a lot of the timber down.

I have 80 acres and am going to have the timber cut in the next few weeks. Money is the motivating factor, but I' m having them leave all the white oaks. They' ll selectively cut the red oak and pines. I think it' ll help, not hurt my hunting on my place.
Old 11-10-2003, 07:37 AM

If you don' t need the money, don' t do it.We hunted an area in Virginia for over 20 years,(about 350 acres)and they logged it.It took years for the land to come back.
The only thing that saved us was the area around our' s was loaded with deer,and the dogs would drive them through.
The company that cut it planted trees,but it took years for them to grow to any size.

Joe