Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

sighting in bow

Old 03-03-2021, 08:35 AM
Spike

Default sighting in bow

Hello, when sighting in a compound bow, should you use field points or the broadheads you will actually hunt with.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Field points. Much easier on you and the target. In a perfectly tuned setup, the broadheads will impact the same spot as field points. I've rarely experienced that situation. I don't use mechanic broadheads.

I sight in for field points so I can shoot targets in league or 3D targets in the summer. As bow season approaches, I screw in the broadheads and adjust the sight pins as needed.
Old 03-03-2021, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

You have to find out where the broadheads you are using are hitting. In the past I have sighted in with broad heads, then went back to my field points for practice. Even with a different point of impact as long as I'm grouping well I know I'm doing my part and my bow is still sighted in for what I'm using to hunt.

-Jake
Old 03-03-2021, 01:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well I've been doing this for a long time and I can attest to the fact that a properly tuned bow WILL shoot your broadheads to the same point of impact as your field tips provided the broadheads are installed true to the axis of the arrow. One of the main reasons besides improper bow tuning is having the face of the arrow insert not square to the shaft. Another problem is broadheads with a crooked ferrule. The easiest way to check this is to place the arrow on a V block and spin it watching the tip of the broadhead. (its nice to have something like a box with a spot on it as a reference point). The tip wobbles around the spot then its out of line.
There are plenty of videos on bow tuning on Youtube and read the stickies at the top of this forum.. Its not rocket science and its easy to do.