Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Absolutle disaster tonight.  Nothing worse. >

Absolutle disaster tonight. Nothing worse.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Absolutle disaster tonight. Nothing worse.

Old 11-06-2003, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Absolutle disaster tonight. Nothing worse.

Some of you may remember my post about 5 weeks ago about not being able to pull my bow back one morning....... and having 5 separate shot opportunities......I blamed it on my new diet.

Well since then I' ve shot a ton at 70 lbs. and last week I dropped it to 67 lbs just for sure. Well tonight " MY WORST NIGHTMARE JUST HAPPENED" !

I decided to hunt a new food plot stand I put up this summer. I got a new doe decoy and had' d had a chance to use it yet. So I set out and was set-up by 2:00. Conditions were cold (about 25degrees and 30 MPH wind...COOOOLD) I didn' t see a thing until 4:30. I saw 3 nice does approching the food plot at about 65 yards. They all stepped in and saw the decoyabout 40 yards from them. They all started to the decoy. The biggest doe stayed back 15 yards from the decoy and about 30 yards from me. Two of the does walked right up to the decoy in my shooting lane. I went to draw my bow..............I COULDN' T PULL THE " DFJKFJD" THING BACK! I tried and tried!!!!! They were there for almost 10 minutes and I couldn' t pull my bow. Two off the deer left and one stayed about 10 yards from the decoy. I just watched and tried to warm my hands. The doe just stared at my decoy. All of a sudden a BURST OF ADRENILINE shot through my body. Something wasn' t right....the doe wasn' t looking at my decoy, it was looking PAST MY DECOY! I slowly turned my head and out of the corner of my eye saw a huge buck comming at 20 yards right towards my tree. I have a photo of a huge (12" tines) 8 point from my deer cam. I figured here he was. No!!!! He was a 14 point with double split brow tines and 22" to 24" spread!!!!!!!!! He stopped and started walking around my tree at 12 to 15 yards broadside looking at my decoy the whole time. I tryed and tryed to pull my bow but I couldn' t. I prayed to GOD! He stopped 6 yards from the decoy in the food plot and about 12 yards from me. He smelled the Tinks #69 I had on the decoy' s tail.....he backed up about 2 yards.......I tried again to pull my bow...no use!! He took two fast steps forward and planted his rack into the side of the decoy sending it flying. He took off about 10 yards turned and looked for 20 seconds....I tried to pull again fand the HUGE BUCK WALKED AWAY!!!!!!

It was the worst day of my life!!!! When I got home I tried to pull my bow and I could!! I had warmed up. That wicked windchill got me! I' ve got to change something!!!

Last year I shot a 12 pointer grossed 154 net 148. This buck was easily going to gross 180 and I let him get away!!! " FROIUJKL"

THANKS FOR LISTENING!
Old 11-06-2003, 08:40 PM
nub

Default RE: Absolutle disaster tonight. Nothing worse.

Hehehe, sorry pal. I do know what your feeling tho. It happened to me one year also. Only my freeze was just on a doe. I spent about 2 hours in the minus 20s when in walks this nice doe. I drew back on her when she went behind a tree, but she held up and I had to let down. When I went to draw again, no dice. What a helpless feeling. No matter how hard you try, it just isn' t there. Keep your chin up, there will be others.
Old 11-06-2003, 08:41 PM

i had two does in front of me i pulled back released missed,nocked another arrow cannot pull my bow back,to nervous,took a deep breath relaxed tryed again,i pulled back and got my first deer with a bow. that sucks in your case.good luck next time .

go deep hunt hard.
Old 11-06-2003, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

After saying THOUSANDS of swear words, and swearing I' m quitting bowhunting, I calmed down alittle. Funny thing was, I kept myself very calm and in control during the whole ordeal. The other funny thing was, I knew I was cold but just alittle.

I' m already thinking about a new set-up. I want the fastest, highest KE, 60 lb. set-up there is.
Old 11-06-2003, 08:51 PM

Giddy-up to that last statement. There is no bravado in pulling tons of weight. Its easy to shoot over 70# in the summer, hard as heck when you' re teeth are chattering.
Old 11-06-2003, 09:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

I' m already thinking about a new set-up. I want the fastest, highest KE, 60 lb. set-up there is
Sounds like a Bowtech Patriot Dually is going to be ordered

I know the feeling about not being able to draw when you are cold

Now days I draw my bow every 30 minutes or so on cold days
Old 11-06-2003, 09:11 PM
Dominant Buck

You obviously aren' t dressing right. TWO:... you need to move or do isometric exercises or pull the bow every half hour or something. AND.... you may still be pulling to much weight. When you' re warm and feeling normal try holding your bow straight out in front of you towards the target at arms length. Draw the bow without having to point it at the sky. Keep it pointed at the target. If you can' t.... you ain' t as tough as you thought you were and should drop the weigh a few more pounds. Just really bad planning on this one.
Old 11-06-2003, 09:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ouch!

I pull 58lbs - 65% let off - its all I can handle when its cold.

My Oneida is a Smooooooth drawing bow - that the best thing you can say about it - no hard cams...etc.

You need to look at other options - not being able to draw on a deer - is NOT AN OPTION.

good luck.

Old 11-06-2003, 09:38 PM
Fork Horn

I think that it is very important to practise drawing from an elevated platform. I do most of my practise from a sturdy metal folding chair. The muscles that are used to draw are different than those that are used to draw on the ground. I would suggest practising like that and you may find that you need to turn that bow down a good bit until you build up. On the other hand sounds like you had a great hunt, many go through many seasons and do not have such a fine animal within bow range. Maybe you should think about what you did right and realize that except for being overbowed that was a fine effort.
Old 11-06-2003, 10:48 PM
Typical Buck

You should have had a camcorder!

Quick Reply: Absolutle disaster tonight. Nothing worse.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.