Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Absolutle disaster tonight.  Nothing worse. >

Absolutle disaster tonight. Nothing worse.

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Absolutle disaster tonight. Nothing worse.

Old 11-07-2003, 07:55 AM

Default RE: Absolutle disaster tonight. Nothing worse.

dude ...you only need 50-60 lbs. crank that bad boy down or get a new bow.
Old 11-07-2003, 09:32 AM

Ok, THAT' S IT!!! I' ve had it. I' m doing some experiments.

I was in the same situation Wed in 9 deg wx, but I was warm. I am convinced CONVINCED it is not muscular but that it is the cold limbs take more energy to bend. I swear that bow was pulling at least 10 lbs harder.

I' m going to measure my Altitude now, and then put it outside where it is 4 degrees. Then I will measure it again. I' ll post back in an hour.
Old 11-07-2003, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dude, turn your bow down. 50# will even kill a deer - my friend' s 14 year old got his first deer last year - at 25 yards and 50# broke the shoulder of a doe after going through both lungs. The deer was down in 25 yards.

It' s about testosterone for the most part I believe anyway. Think about it: at that yardage, a fast high pound bow goes through a deer a little faster than a weaker bow. Ok, so? So turn it down and kill deer.

I' m one to talk shooting a Hoyt cranked to 70 and a 75# recurve. BUT, I' m a big guy and cold doesn' t bother me like some people.

That' s why I said it' s about balls - show what you' re made of with a rack, not big pounds.
Old 11-07-2003, 10:58 AM

I have to agree with some others here that is isn' t the cold[:' (] I Shoot 63# and have been so cold in late december/early january that I couldn' t feel my fingers anymore and was still able to draw easily. It MAY have been a little tougher than usual but never the less I was easily able to draw. Once the adrenaline hits you should be able to pull without any problem. I have no suggestions as to what the problem may be but try cranking it wayyyy down and see what happens. My guess is that it isn' t the cold. Draw every 30 minutes or so and try flexing while you' re sitting there to keep the muscles warmed a little.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:06 AM

I feel your pain I' ve been there myself.Two years ago this happened to me and again this year.The first time it happened I was trying to draw on a doe that was right under my stand.I guess I was aiming the bow at so much of a downward angle that I just couldn' t draw it.Than this year I had a small buck walk up to me and I tried to draw but couldn' t.I tried about four times to draw.When the deer walked away I climbed out of my stand and pretty much cussed all the way back to camp.Than I cranked my bow down a turn took a couple practice shots and went back out.In my case I haveta say it was a lack of preporation that made this happen.I never shot my bow enough this year.I took a few shots and was hitting good so i thought i was good to go.Also shooting on the ground or in a stand are way different.When I shoot on the ground my stance is wider than when i shoot from my stand.I think the leverage theory comes into play.
The first year I went bow hunting,I got in my stand looked around and made a practice draw at a strange angle and pulled a muscle in my neck.Ouch that hurt for about 2 weeks.Look at it this way this is opening weekend for rifle season go out there and get some revenge on that deer!!!
Old 11-07-2003, 11:10 AM

OK, I' m back with my results.

I test two bows, an ' 02 Martin Altitude with Magnum limbs and an ' 02 Martin Mv2 with Elite limbs.

At 69 degrees, the Altitude measured 64# and the Mv2 measured 56#.
I put them both outside for one hour at 7 degrees and then tested them again.

As soon as I pulled back the first one I knew the answer...

The Altitude measured 64# and the Mv2 measured 56#. No change whatsoever. []
Boy was I wrong.

I could have sworn it pulled harder. And I must have been a bit cold. It must be the body' s defense mechanism shutting down circulation to the extremeties when it thinks it is too cold, to keep the body' s core temp up.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:11 AM
Dominant Buck

If it isn' t the COLD..... he must be a WIMP![&:][]
Old 11-07-2003, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.huntersfriend.com/bowselection.htm#limits

Excerpted from the above link-

Draw Weight - Our Recommendations

Before you choose the draw weight of your new bowhunting rig, you should realize that you’ll need to be able to draw your bow back quietly, slowly, and smoothly to avoid spooking the game. When the time comes for that all important shot, you may be tired, nervous, cold, hungry, cramped, and bundled up in multiple layers of clothing. If you’re struggling to draw your bow back when just practicing in your back yard or on your local 3D course, you risk disaster in the field. Can you imagine missing a big buck opportunity because you lacked the strength to draw your bow at that critical moment? It happens to countless bowhunters every year, though most guys don’t freely admit it. An adult male with average physical strength will be most comfortable with a 55-60# draw weight. An adult female with average strength will be most comfortable with a 30-35# draw weight. If you are unsure about which limbs you should select for your bow or feel you are " between sizes" , we recommend you choose the lighter limbs.
Old 11-07-2003, 05:57 PM
Dominant Buck

I used to shoot 76 pounds. When I went to purchase my last bow I said, " SELF... you ain' t as tough as you think you are or used to be" . I dropped down to 67 pounds and it' s like pulling a kids bow compared to my old PSE. It was a wise choice. The next bow will probably be a 50-60 range rating cause I " ain' t" gettin' any younger.[]
Old 11-07-2003, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I appreicate all the input.........I cranked my bow down to 57 lbs today and struggled to pull it back. I also got some 100 grain fixed thunderheads. I know I strained or pulled some muscles. I DID hunt tonight, just in case that bad boy came by again. Gun season starts saturday. It was a good night Had 6 does and one 4 pointer comes into the decoy. Could have shot each one. I pulled my bow back every half an hour. It was colder than yesterday.

I' m amazed how great that decoy works! Second time out with it and had in two trips had 11 deer inside of 15 yards.

This winter I' ll have to set-up a new rig and figure out a new training routine. ( I thought 4000 shots at 70.5 lbs this past year would have been enough!!) I' ll have to figure something else out!

Thanks for all the input!!