Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 ON the ground??? >

ON the ground???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

ON the ground???

Old 11-06-2003, 06:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default ON the ground???

How many sit on the ground to bow hunt deer??
I' m forced to and find it 10 times harder then when I could get in a tree. Come on down ,join the challenge.
Old 11-06-2003, 07:15 PM

Default RE: ON the ground???

well car i guess you been huntin hard i anit seen you postin in a day or two but i think it would both have its ups and downs but im forsed to try it out saturday b/c there are no trres around this deer trail im gonna get in some tall grass [:-]
Old 11-06-2003, 07:15 PM

I hunt both on the ground and in a tree. Just depending on the situation. I do agree it is more of a challenge on the ground.
Old 11-06-2003, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt both depending on the weather and location. There is nothing better than having 4 deer within 10 yards of you when you' re on the ground. It' s happened to me twice this season.
Old 11-07-2003, 03:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cardeer,
I hope to top the 100 mark on Whitetails this year and every one of them has been on the ground. Over 30 were bow kills. I do not deny that it is harder than hunting from a tree but with practice you can learn to spot or create a good ground set-up.
By the way, I hunt on the ground because I do not like heights. I have had several hunting friends severly injured falling from tree stands. Worrying about falling takes all the enjoyment out of the hunt for me!
Good luck with your hunt.
Old 11-07-2003, 06:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

CD I do over 95% of my hunting from the ground, as you state the challenge is beyond beleif and the thrill is even more, nothing like being at the deers eye level.
Old 11-07-2003, 07:49 AM

I do it occasionally. I find that it' s harder to control my emotions (buck fever) when on the ground. I' m after a MONSTER on public land and he' s got a tendancy to skirt around my stand in the thick stuff, and rather than move it during prime time, I' m gonna set up on the ground tomorrow.

Hey cardeer, got the chevelle put up for the winter........or do ya wanna' run em?
Just kiddin....from one chevelle guy to another
Old 11-07-2003, 07:58 AM

i tried it all last year and got busted drawing every time ...i agree it' s a major challange.

was using natural forage as cover but being the visibility isn' t as good as being in a tree the darn deer would sneak right up on me or they wouldn' t offer a shot.
Old 11-07-2003, 08:21 AM
Dominant Buck

I have a couple places that the only option... or the best option is on the ground. I like to find a blow down to crawl into or a ditch, creek, or hole so only my eyes and head stick up. I' ve shot quite a few deer with the bow this way. You definitely have to be on your toes and the wind, or lack of one, can be a killer. I' d rather have it blowing 20 mph than not at all when I' m on the ground. You should just go ahead and make a little noise when you get in your spot to clean EVERYTHING off the ground. Every rock, twig, blade of grass anything that might make noise if your boot gets caught up in it. If I' m backed up to a tree I clean an area 3 or 4 feet out all the way around it so I can slide around the tree if I have to in absolute silence. A short stool or turkey seat does wonders for your comfort. If I know where I' m going I' ll cut a couple hollys or pine bows or something green before I get there and give myself a little cover. It doesn' t take much. A couple small limbs leaning on some saplings with some dead leaves and stuff on top will do the trick nicely too.
Old 11-07-2003, 09:23 AM

It' s tough enough challenge from 15 feet up. I' ll be damned if I' m getting down close enough to shake hands with them!

Quick Reply: ON the ground???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.