HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - ON the ground???
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2003, 08:21 AM
davidmil
Dominant Buck

Default RE: ON the ground???

I have a couple places that the only option... or the best option is on the ground. I like to find a blow down to crawl into or a ditch, creek, or hole so only my eyes and head stick up. I' ve shot quite a few deer with the bow this way. You definitely have to be on your toes and the wind, or lack of one, can be a killer. I' d rather have it blowing 20 mph than not at all when I' m on the ground. You should just go ahead and make a little noise when you get in your spot to clean EVERYTHING off the ground. Every rock, twig, blade of grass anything that might make noise if your boot gets caught up in it. If I' m backed up to a tree I clean an area 3 or 4 feet out all the way around it so I can slide around the tree if I have to in absolute silence. A short stool or turkey seat does wonders for your comfort. If I know where I' m going I' ll cut a couple hollys or pine bows or something green before I get there and give myself a little cover. It doesn' t take much. A couple small limbs leaning on some saplings with some dead leaves and stuff on top will do the trick nicely too.