Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Need thoughts on harvesting yearlings. >

Need thoughts on harvesting yearlings.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need thoughts on harvesting yearlings.

Old 11-06-2003, 01:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Need thoughts on harvesting yearlings.

I' m a softy ,cant do it
Old 11-06-2003, 04:20 AM
Dominant Buck

Well, first we have to get our nomenclature correct. These sound like FAWNs.... not yearlings as I know them. A yearling is a deer that was born LAST year and probably a year and a half old. Those fawns you' re eyeballing are 6 months old.... MAX. They found the gravey train. They' ll eat there everyday until life is made miserable for them or they find some munchies that taste better. My hunting buddy loves that young tender meat. I don' t like it....too mushy, nothing to them etc etc etc. I' d sooner wait and shoot their mother. Like someone else, I can' t do it either.
Old 11-06-2003, 06:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep take them
Old 11-06-2003, 06:43 AM

As long as they' re not buttons, I' d say shoot them. Smaller deer are a harder target as their vitals are smaller, this makes it more of a challange. After you harvest one get a bunch of friends together (your friends from Huntingnet.com)and roast one on a spit like they do with pigs. mmmmmmm! invite me!
Old 11-06-2003, 06:49 AM

There is a town near me whose economy depends on the tulips they grow each year. The deer there are ruining the crops, so they are opening up a special season (bow only) on them being that it is inside the city limits. Its only open to the cops and city employees though [:@] All the venision will be donated to the hungry. If those deer are costing you money, eat ' em...[>:]
Old 11-06-2003, 06:55 AM

Sounds to me like good eatin' . I would be more than willing to help your parents with their problem. Nothing wrong with taking a nice tender doe.
Old 11-06-2003, 07:00 AM
Fork Horn

Do what you feel you have to do!
Only you can answer that question, ( should i shoot them or not)
I personally, have a hard time shooting a deer that doesn' t dress at least 100 pounds.
But the venison is awesome!
Old 11-06-2003, 07:15 AM

I took a 1 1/2 year old doe last year that was so tasty it was unreal! IF they are fawns I might think twice.

Also I see you are in Mass too which means best case you only have one doe tag so taking both sounds illegal.

The funny thing is I live on the MA/CT border and in CT I can shoot 4 deer, max 2 bucks but could be 4 does. In Mass I can take 2 Bucks and 0 does! Bow season in CT is twice as long too.
Old 11-06-2003, 07:36 AM
Typical Buck

The best eating venison on the planet. If your license allows.....take two they' re small.
Old 11-06-2003, 07:54 AM

Take them. The only problem is that once you' ve decided you will, the opportunity probably won' t present itself.

Quick Reply: Need thoughts on harvesting yearlings.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.