Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Need thoughts on harvesting yearlings. >

Need thoughts on harvesting yearlings.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need thoughts on harvesting yearlings.

Old 11-05-2003, 06:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default Need thoughts on harvesting yearlings.

I' ve got somewhat of a problem and was looking for some insight from some of you folks. It might sound silly but....

I hunt solely in suburban area' s. The area I mainly hunt is behind my parent' s house which I' ve hunted for the last 11 years. I still lived there up until 6 years ago so it' s my main area. Anyway there are 2 yearlings (both does) that keep coming in on an almost daily basis and chomping thousands of dollars worth of plants in my parent' s flower gardens. These deer go about 80lbs max on the hoof. They' re not the kind of deer I would normally attempt to harvest but my parents are pretty much begging me to get rid of them to save their gardens.

There is a large population of does in the area so it would be somewhat beneficial to the herd but it still just doesn' t seem right. Another aspect is that there is a good number of big bodied doe' s around that I' d feel better harvesting. Anyone have any thoughts?

Old 11-05-2003, 06:52 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Need thoughts on harvesting yearlings.

If you won' t,give me a shot .Nothing more tender than a yearling doe.Seriously I would' nt want to shoot a yearling buck but most people are begging to get rid of the does because they are so overpopulated .I shot a yearling doe last sunday and monday night my family had the most tender deer steaks we have ever eaten.Maybe if you shoot one in the garden the other will get the message and not come back.
Old 11-05-2003, 07:01 PM
Fork Horn

If they are a nuisance.......get rid of them............
Old 11-05-2003, 07:02 PM

I' m with bubba on this one. That is some tasty venison munching those plants. Some states give bonus doe tags, or invite a fellow bow hunter in on the action. When it comes to does, I for one would much rather have a yearling for eating than an old stringy 4 or 5 year old. Then I can spend the rest of the year looking for godzilla

Too many folks are hung up on the idea that they just have to harvest the biggest deer they can. Quality not quantity for me!
Old 11-05-2003, 07:24 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt a lot of back yards and we have to shoot any thing without horns that walk by.the only bad part about shooting the young ones is that it hard to be sure you are not shooting little bucks, the little does will likely get bread this winter so you might aswell wack em
Old 11-05-2003, 07:40 PM

Fresh yearling backstraps.... Need I say more.
Old 11-05-2003, 07:41 PM

The deer are just doing what is natural. Others will replace them. If there is a major over-population of deer, a reduction of the poulation in the immediate area may be necessary.

Some people hunt deer for the sport and the venison. Some simply kill them as pests. If wild animals ever take up arms, we humans are in for a huge slaughter....of us.
Old 11-05-2003, 07:58 PM

I shot a nice yearling last week. I figure that if the state issues bonus tags, use' em. I would rather shoot a nice tasty young doe than a young buck.
Old 11-05-2003, 10:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you have the tags AND will use the extra meat - SHOOT THEM.

Enjoy the hunt!
Old 11-06-2003, 01:11 AM

nummy num num [8D]

Quick Reply: Need thoughts on harvesting yearlings.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.