Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 The Dreaded Hollow Spot >

The Dreaded Hollow Spot

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The Dreaded Hollow Spot

Old 11-06-2003, 01:47 PM
nub

Default RE: The Dreaded Hollow Spot

Why argue over this? Theres an easier way to explain it. Its called " shi+ Happens" .
Old 11-06-2003, 03:16 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Hollow spot, dead spot, whatever you want to call it. It does not exist inside the thoracic cavity, period. The shots in question are above the spine and hit muscle, ligaments, bone and basically nothing vital. If you slip an arrow directly under the spine, along with both lungs you are going to cut this little structure called the aorta, not compatible with life. It does not matter what state of exhale/inhale the animal is in, the lungs and the thorax expand and contract together. These are poor shots that hit in a non vital area. Would be the same as shooting one in the ham and saying got him in the dead spot.
Old 11-06-2003, 08:03 PM

If you hit the area above the spine it does not bleed very much because it has no main arteries through it. Were as this deer bled good for 100 yards. There was no problem finding blood, but then it quit. I thought he was dead we looked for 3 or 4 days. Then it got hot and we went looking for stink, I told the farmers around to watch out when taking out there crops, I thought he was going to die somewhere. I shot him oct 1 then on nov 4 i seen him scent checking does and sparing with another buck. This deer weighs over 200 pounds. with some distict fetures. He looked fine from what iI could see.
Old 11-07-2003, 08:02 AM

THE DEAD SPOT EXISTS, PLAIN AND SIMPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I shot a huge buck in Sept. and the arrow hit high, didn' t pass through. I backed out and waited 2 hours before starting the search. Looked for a total of about 8-9 hours in a small wood lot and never found him. 2 weeks later to the day he got hit by a car and killed. If the dead spot doesn' t exist how did he live for 2 weeks after the shot?
Old 11-07-2003, 08:41 AM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

If you hit the area above the spine it does not bleed very much because it has no main arteries through it. Were as this deer bled good for 100 yards.
Wanna bet?

I had a 6-point string jump on me last year and I backstrapped him (above the spine and even with the shoulder). Spent the entire day tracking that deer 400 yards (with blood) just to make sure he was alright. When he crossed the highway and into another property, the search had to be abandoned. Permission to continue was denied by the landowner.

Sorry, but superficial flesh wounds will generally continue to bleed slowly as long as the animal is kept moving. And because the body cavity was not compromised, all bleeding is external.
Old 11-07-2003, 10:15 AM

The logic of " I shot a deer and didn' t recover it" =" dead spot exists" or
" I shot a deer and someone else shot it later" =" dead spot exists" doesn' t work. They are just bad shots. Meat shots. As someone else said, you could drive an arrow through the hindquarter and the deer might live (or die slowly) and call that a " dead spot" or " hollow spot" . It' s not accurate. If you shoot a deer and you don' t recover it or it lives, then you have hit the dreaded " lousy place to shoot a deer" spot. That' s all it is.
Old 11-07-2003, 10:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

Why argue over this? Theres an easier way to explain it. Its called " shi+ Happens" .
It is also called I know I hit the deer really high and I never found him so it must be the mythical " hollow spot" !

kegei I have an important question about the " healed" deer killed later on, was the scar/wound above or below the spine?

I will beleive in the hollow space when someone can show me them slipping a broadhead below the spine all the way and not hit the spine arterty, the lung cavity or the lungs.
Old 11-07-2003, 10:51 AM
Typical Buck

THE DEAD SPOT EXISTS, PLAIN AND SIMPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I shot a huge buck in Sept. and the arrow hit high, didn' t pass through.
If the arrow didn' t pass through, you didn' t hit the " dead spot" . You hit bone, most likely a shoulder. That' s how he lived.
Old 11-07-2003, 10:53 AM

Mez:

I knew you were in the crowd!

For those readers that do not know, " Mez" is a vet.

Now, for those laypeople who would argue with God, form a line on the right and take your turn telling " Mez" that he is full of it and does not know which is the hole in the ground!

PS:

ArtP, davidmil, cardeer, charlieP, etc: I know you have have been hunting as long or nearly as long as I have (39 years). I don' t recall ever hearing about a " hollow spot" or " dead spot" in my earlier years of bowhunting. Did you? Anyone have an idea when this fable (excuse) started?

Old 11-07-2003, 11:30 AM

If the arrow didn' t pass through, you didn' t hit the " dead spot" . You hit bone, most likely a shoulder. That' s how he lived.
I' m not arguing that, and maybe " Non-Vital" is a better term but all I' m saying is that the shot looked lower than the back bone and definitley didn' t hit a lung. The deer lived for 2 more weeks and was healthy to I' m sure I just hit muscle and nothing vital. The point is it happens. Is it a bad shot? Yes. But it happens a lot, deer jumping string is a good example. It' s gonna happen no matter how much you practice.

Quick Reply: The Dreaded Hollow Spot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.