Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 The Dreaded Hollow Spot >

The Dreaded Hollow Spot

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The Dreaded Hollow Spot

Old 11-05-2003, 03:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default The Dreaded Hollow Spot

Here is a quick story.

Opening Day, Oct 1, my buddy stuck a nice 10 pointer and hit him high. Not back, just high. Well after many hours of looking, not just him, but me and his girlfriend, we sadly gave up. Last night, over a month later he seen him chasing a doe out in a field. Same deer, still alive and still running hard. I would trust this guys word over anybody' s when he said he hit it high. He is really self concious and he knows where he hits every deer. Before we track one of his deer he can always tell you where it was hit and he is always dead on the money.

So, the dreaded hollow spot took another victim!!

But he shot a nice 10 pointer a couple of weeks ago to somewhat make up for it.
Old 11-05-2003, 03:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: The Dreaded Hollow Spot

I think the same thing happened to a hunting partner of mine 2 weeks ago. He shot a doe at 15 yards and said he knew he hit her high. The shot was a clean pass through with good blood for maybe 40 yards, then a few more drops, then nothing. We looked high and low and there' s no way if that deer died on our land that we didn' t find it. The direction it ran it would' ve had to get by 2 of us on stand in order to get off our property and we never saw it. I' m 99% sure he hit that hollow spot and she lived.
Old 11-05-2003, 04:01 PM
New Sheriff

..and I thought you were talkin about YOUR head.

My bad
Old 11-05-2003, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

LOL 4pt. I thought I got to the thread early enough to get him on that, but you beat me to it. Nice leaving yourself open IL_BOY.

Was he able to find his arrow after the shot? I' d be curious to know what the sign on the arrow looked like.
Old 11-05-2003, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mr4pt

..and I thought you were talkin about YOUR head.

My bad
LOL, that' s funny!
Old 11-05-2003, 05:41 PM

he bled within 30 yards of were i hit him. There was a good amount of blood for about a 100 yards, then it quit. I think i caught a little bit of the loin because the arrow did not pass through.
there is about 8 inches of arrow still in him. I thought from the blood at first that i caught one of the artery below the spine, but i must not have.
I seen him last night checking out does, and sparing with a smaller buck.So maybe i will still get another shot at him!
Old 11-05-2003, 05:57 PM

People say the hollow spot is a myth, but im a firm believer it exists. Best of luck getting a second shot at him.
Old 11-05-2003, 06:10 PM

Ive hit 2 there this year....
Old 11-05-2003, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hit a doe at 20 yards two weeks ago in the same spot describe. Looked all day and found nothing. Completel pass through slightly quartering away just a little high. She bled for a 100 or 150 yards then stopped.
Old 11-05-2003, 06:33 PM

A friend of mine is a large animal vet and has been for 39 years. Many moons ago, I asked him about the mythical " hollow spot." He advised that the " hollow spot" does not exist.

Quick Reply: The Dreaded Hollow Spot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.